Seeing a solicitor and need advice about what to ask!

(9 Posts)
Tropicalchancer Mon 31-Mar-14 08:32:16

Right so I'm seeing a solicitor on Thursday-it's costing near on £300 so I need to make sure I've got all my questions ready.
Dh and I have been married for 15 years, own our home together, he has a pension and shares. I've been a sham for 10 years of that but went back to self employed work last year it's a very low paid job but what I'm trained in.
I'm instigating the split, I've been unhappy for years and despite effort things have fallen appart. He is very angry understandably. There are all kinds of reasons behind the breakdown but the big two are his passive controlling behaviour and my new found self confidence leading me to question it all.
So we are skintish I think-he earns well (over threshold) but the mortgage is huge-I was thinking about lengthening the term to halve our repayments to make things easier but have no idea of that's wise. He will be moving out and renting as the children will need their own home. What do I need to take with me to the solicitors, what do I ask!!!!
Thankyou xxx

Russianfudge Mon 31-Mar-14 09:14:28

Ooh I'm sorry I'm not sure but have you had a free half hour with a solicitor yet? My advice would be to have a free half hour to ask things like what you need to prepare, then book the expensive one when you're all set?

MeepMeepVroooom Mon 31-Mar-14 11:01:24

Have you posted in legal OP? I think you'd probably get the best advice over there.

Monetbyhimself Mon 31-Mar-14 13:04:41

Have a rough idea of what you would like to happen with regards your assets etc. Take details of tax credits/ child benefit etc.
Do you want to issue divorcee proceedings straight away and on what grounds.
What are your thoughts about contact for the children ?
Has he expressed any thoughts on what he would like to happen ?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 31-Mar-14 14:34:32

Not all solicitors do a free half hour, I found that I got more value from one who didn't than one who did.
Take as much information as you can about assets, debts income etc.

Russianfudge Mon 31-Mar-14 14:51:56

I used a solicitor that did a free hour to get the info about what info I needed then was more prepared for the one that charged the earth wink

Louloo2012 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:52:26

Take details of your outgoings, your income and his income plus details of any other joint assets including pensions, savings etc. Sounds like you are wanting to remain in home until children turn 18. Check that this is realistic based on his income and housing needs when factoring in child maintenance etc.

Do you need advice regarding child contact also?

Minime85 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:51:04

cost of your house and dates of when purchased roughly, what u owe mortgage, any savings you have. what plans u have re children. good luck thanks

STIDW Mon 31-Mar-14 19:16:18

It depends where you live - the law and therefore procedures are different in England & Wales than Scotland and to a lesser extent Northern Ireland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now