Getting through the lonely evenings once child is in bed???

(15 Posts)
queenofthepirates Thu 24-Apr-14 18:49:32

I set up my own business giving sewing and knitting lessons from home. I'm a fairly confident teacher so it came naturally. Soon it morphed and now I run a fabric and haberdashery business from home, mainly online but employing four people part time. Tiring but never dull!

Lioninthesun Thu 24-Apr-14 17:59:01

BeCool I have countered that feeling by allowing one episode of something on Netflix (on Madmen at the moment) and then half an hour on something else - tidying/refreshing nappy bag/washing up/hanging up washing/reading/writing a list of to do/doing something on said to do and then I allow myself another episode. It stops me caning through series and feeling weeks have gone by in the blink of an eye smile

Lioninthesun Thu 24-Apr-14 17:56:16

Netflix/iplayer, library card for an endless supply of good books, landline and wine to call a friend once or twice a week are all I need. I am lucky in that I now have 2 single mum friends (recent) who are always happy to chat until midnight with wine on the landline. You can do a facial, nails, have a long bubble bath, look on ebay for summer garden games, come on MN - endless ways to pass the time! If you are really desperate there is always housework shock. I really love my time alone! The quiet and peace that comes with not having to check the little person is not trying to kill themselves or the cat every five mins! Possibly one of the reasons I don't want anyone else in our lives at the moment grin

NotWeavingButDarning Thu 24-Apr-14 14:52:56

The evenings after mine are in bed are some of the nicest times of day for me blush.

I sometimes have a glass of wine, usually put on some music and read a book or MN. Quick tidy round the house, very occasionally put something on telly, give myself a pedicure, do some baking. There's just so much to fill my time - I never have enough evening hours.

MissPricklePants Thu 24-Apr-14 14:48:30

I have a daily 6am start with dd, she is 4. She also only sleeps 5-6 hours a night. I work ft, ex is very hands off and sees dd twice a month. No overnights! So the night's are long, I read, crochet, do housework and boring stuff. You get used to it, 5 years single so I'm used to it :-)

BeCool Thu 24-Apr-14 14:40:36

I watch far too much TV - but after a day with an early rise with 2yo, working FT, some time with my 2 young DC, bit of tidying, washing up etc it is all I am good for.

I have a long list in my head of all these things I want to do and I do none of it. I find it quite depressing.

mammadiggingdeep Thu 24-Apr-14 13:10:24

I'm exhausted so have a bath, tidy up and then in bed for 9! Also have a mate over once a week for dinner and soap watching.

weatherall Wed 23-Apr-14 22:40:41

Mine didnt go to bed til 10 (8am start so 10 hours sleep).

Open Uni course?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Apr-14 22:36:09

I crochet massive blankets.

sunflowerfi Wed 23-Apr-14 20:35:18

It sounds sad but I feed the kids at 4.30ish and have my tea later when they are in bed...just for something to do-its usually something like a ready meal or chicken/fish and veg but takes up a bit of time.
I also mess about on the Internet, watch TV and drink wine.
The kids go to bed at 8pm and me at 10pm -the two hours go pretty quick and I enjoy the time to myself xx

ej3166 Thu 27-Mar-14 20:12:33

Hi there,
Just wanted to say your not alone in these feelings; I'm bored as hell at the moment.
I had a knee op 3 weeks ago so am off work for a week or two more; normally I don't have a minute to live , I do shift work aswell, but the past 3 weeks have been especially brain numbing. Like you I also keep thinking am going to be on my own forever and that money will be tight forever- the only positive is my son:-( I have a lot of acquaintances but only 1 best friend and I think I've bored her senseless in my seperation etc I don't wanna bore her no more!!!! I guess this is not much help but you are definatly not alone xxxx

bemusedisnottheword Sat 22-Mar-14 15:52:07

I find myself going to bed when the dc go to sleep, hate being downstairs on my own, tellys shite and my friends have their own lives. i need a routine i think, make myself do things

barnet Wed 19-Mar-14 20:18:48

Invite a friend or two over for some wine and sweets. If they have someone at home with their kids, i guarantee they would love a girly hour or so.

Back2Basics Wed 19-Mar-14 20:14:15

I drink wine, have long long long hot baths and go to bed early.

I also bore my dm senseless and my nan with hours of phone calls LOL

olympicsbaby Wed 19-Mar-14 20:12:12

I'm a single parent to a 2 year old and once he's in bed I just feel bored and lonely! Anyone else like this?

I know I should read, do knitting!, watch a good dvd etc but I just feel bored every night on my own! I do meet friends at weekends in the day and once or twice a month I have a night out with friends but in the week it's just me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now