How can we avoid being moved to another temporary accommodation? Advices Please???

(8 Posts)
Itssodifficult Wed 05-Mar-14 05:44:43

I am a lone parent with 1 dc.
Last year we were accepted as homeless by our council, but the temporary accommodation we were put was very small, no bedroom at all. We were/are still very grateful. But it is not a along term solution.
If I challenge its suitability I am afraid of to be moved to another temporary accommodation which I heard happened to other people.
I have some health problems, my dc has some, too.
So I don’t think we can afford to be moved from place to place which we had done already many times before.
My illnesses were not considered to be enough for us to be in the top band to be housed securely immediately but I don’t think we can afford to move to another temporary accommodation financially and health-wise.
What should I do? I don’t want to drag my child from place to place any more.
I can’t sleep with these problems, I am always anxious, my health is suffering and so as dc’s.
Advices will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

cestlavielife Wed 05-Mar-14 11:45:52

speak to shelter helpline.

england.shelter.org.uk/

do you have a social worker invovled due to your illness?
can you take a private let ?

starlight1234 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:24:53

I would ask for supporting letters from professionals involved ..this can help in some ways

Shelter is the best place to get advice - do call them.

How long have you been in temp accom??? You are only supposed to be there for a few weeks and the council should be working to move you somewhere permanent.

What sort of place is it that has no bedroom? Or do you mean its a studio where the bedroom is the lounge and kitchen too?

You will be fairly high up on their list to move you as temp accom costs them much more, but with the benefit changes a lot of councils are struggling to find suitable places.

Might be worth challenging them on their decision re the impact of your health. Do you have a doctor who you can ask for some support?

sandiy Thu 06-Mar-14 18:43:46

,your health visitor can complete a Shef on your behalf this will highlight your level of need to the housing officer at the allocation of resources panel which will help you move up the list. It may also allow you access to additional support if you need it,such as help with furnishing etc for a bigger flat.

monkeymadness1 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:08:41

A few weeks giantpurple? Our local authority has a target of two years as the maximum someone should be in temporary accommodation!

Itssodifficult Fri 07-Mar-14 05:07:20

we've been in this place around 10 months now.
It is called studio I guess, but a very small one.
we don't have health visitor my dc is older than that.
the scary thing is to be moved to another temporary accommodation suddenly.
you know we have to accept their offer otherwise we will lose their duty of assisting us finding somewhere to live.

Steelojames Fri 07-Mar-14 21:24:19

I was made homeless last year also whilst 8 months pregnant...

The council moved my household into a large room for 5months & we had to share bathroom and kitchen facilities with other families...I challenged it's suitability as my household consists of my sister and newborn son and so grateful as we were we didn't think it was appropriate for 2 single adults and a baby to share a living space...esp as my sis works full time and Id just had a baby as a single parent.

We were moved into a temp 2bed flat a month after I challenged....& we wait here until given a perm which could take anything fr 6months to 5 years, but being in the homeless category means less of a wait.

I do not understand why you do not want to be moved if your current accommodation is not suitable...surely you want a larger space? Despite that meaning you have little choice as to when and where.
Also if you want to challenge suitably you cannot do it 10 months after living there. You should have after moving in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now