Sacked for requesting flexible working?

(5 Posts)
doolittle79 Thu 28-Nov-13 23:33:10

Hi there - I am new to mums net and just had to share my experience... I am a single mum of a 20 month old, I took a full time job in an office (when my son was just over a year old) and after 6 months was really struggling to manage everything and discussed with my manager the possibility of more flexible working hours. I was then given an ultimatum that I could go down to 4 days a week but I would have to leave in 3 months time and please sign this contact to say you are leaving. I have not signed anything yet, I am not sure what to do - I don't want to stay now but at the same time this just doesn't feel right. Any advice from anyone who has experienced a similar thing? Thanks!!

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 28-Nov-13 23:38:24

Hi, that sounds awful. If you post in the employment section you might get a better, more relevant, response. I hope you manage to get some help.

doolittle79 Thu 28-Nov-13 23:57:39

Thank you! x

HeeHiles Fri 29-Nov-13 00:06:53
queenofthepirates Fri 29-Nov-13 19:47:38

Hi there,
I was in a similar position to you once upon a time. I knew what was happening was wrong but it's tough to prove sometimes! I gently approached my employers and explained I was leaving and why then asked them if we could come to some arrangement. We did reach what's called a 'compromise agreement' whereby they gave me several months' salary and I promised not to sue. It's not uncommon and to everyone's benefit. You might consider this route rather than go for say, unfair dismissal, which this has overtones of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now