The wisdom of children

(5 Posts)
yetanotherstatistic Thu 19-Sep-13 11:53:46

My dd (5) told me yesterday that the reason that she loved me so much was "You play with me mummy. Daddy and my other family (the inlaws) take me to lots of places but they don't play with me".

Thought that might give a lift to those of you like me who don't have much money but have xh and ILs doing constant Disney parenting.

moustachio Fri 20-Sep-13 10:47:41

Awww that's lovely smile

ProtectiveMother Fri 20-Sep-13 17:52:02

Well done OP. I play with my kids very little due to stress. Let them play with each other mainly while I get things done! But this has inspired me to get down and play with them

yetanotherstatistic Fri 20-Sep-13 19:39:55

Thanks ProtectiveMother. I'm pleased that she can see past the endless outings and presents they give her. Mind you the little monkey will milk their guilt at times grin.

needaholidaynow Wed 25-Sep-13 10:35:25

My ILs are Disney grandparents. Sadly my DSD prefers to be with them than us as she knows she'll get to go to loads of fun places or get loads of presents. I've never ever once seen any of them actually play with her though. I suppose I should be glad really that they don't bother with DS1 and DS2, because I wouldn't want them to not want to be with us for the sake of yet more gifts that they don't need or another expensive day out.

My DSD just doesn't appreciate the simple things that mean so much, like your DD does OP. it's such a shame. We've tried it all: baking at home, playing in the garden, watching a film, playing with dolls, simple trips to the park. Many things you would expect a 7 year old girl to enjoy, but she would rather be with the ILs because of the material crap she gets off them. And I blame my MIL for planting things in her head such as "You'd rather be here with us than with your dad wouldn't you?"

I'm never EVER letting her poison my 2 boys against us like she's so hellbent on doing with DSD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now