Their father moves into a caravan...

(8 Posts)
Hawkmoth Sun 15-Sep-13 10:49:08

Carbon monoxide alarm. As a justifiably paranoid housewarming gift.

purpleroses Sun 15-Sep-13 10:47:04

If it's a static caravan on a site, and has some sort of heater, then I think it's OK really. Presumably there's bunk beds for your DCs? Does it have its own toilet and shower, or do they need to walk to the communal block? That shouldn't be a problem in the daytime, but your DCs would probably not be safe/comfortable walking to the toilet on their own at night.

If it's a touring one with no heater, only one bed out the back of someone's house then that's a bit different and probably not suitable as a regular place to stay.

Are you on amicable enough terms to ask him about it? Maybe offer to drop the DCs round some of the time so that you can keep an eye on how it is?

My ex is also crap with jobs, and earning enough to provide a decent place for the DCs to stay. He's done a caravan (unheated), rooms in shared houses and now has a 1 bed flat - with a DW and toddler too. But does manage to have the DCs 1 or 2 nights a week and they're very accepting of the situation really.

hettienne Sat 14-Sep-13 23:48:44

Isn't he able to judge whether the accommodation is suitable for children?

colditz Sat 14-Sep-13 23:47:32

Some children live in caravans. Most of this country's population spends two weeks a year in a caravan. There is nothing wrong with caravans.

Unless he is an unsuitable person to be around children, there is no reason to stop access.

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 14-Sep-13 23:37:41

What sort of caravan is it?.

They do vary. TBH they might be a bit cold when winter kicks in but depends on the heating system ( if any) he has. At least they are old enough to have a say.XX

scurryfunge Sat 14-Sep-13 23:37:24

What are your concerns about the suitability of the caravan?

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 14-Sep-13 23:36:07

I don't know, but what's led you think it would be unsuitable?

AliPally73 Sat 14-Sep-13 23:09:38

I am at a slight loss on this one: I have two children aged 9 & 6. Their father (we divorced a year ago) is imminently going to move into a caravan as he can no longer afford the mortgage on his house. He has for the 4th time in 11 years lost his current teaching job due to falling out with his Head/Governors....where do I stand in having any say in whether this accommodation is suitable for the children when he has them to stay for the weekend?? Thank you, Ali

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now