What do you say when kids cry for Daddy?

(5 Posts)
IceRocket Fri 13-Sep-13 21:07:01

It's only been a week since we split, Dcs haven't really noticed daddy being away much, we have said he's at work for now, as he often works away.

He picked them up from school yesterday and stayed over in ds's room. So the kids have seen him and we are friendly infront of them. But tonight our son has sobbed for Daddy sad what do I do? Will this affect him? Should I put aside my own feelings and try to work things out? I can't stand making them unhappy

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 14-Sep-13 08:03:17

I remind her how many sleeps till she sees Daddy and let her phone him to chat. I empathise and say I understand why she is upset.

mammadiggingdeep Sat 14-Sep-13 08:26:58

My sympathies....I also have this sad my DD is 3 so still quite easily distracted. I just cuddle her and tell her daddy loves her so much and won't it be lovely when you see him? You can tell him about pre-school/dancing/play date etc etc. Then once the convo is over just go on to the next thing/convo quite swiftly.
All I can do is stay positive and friendly about him and remind her she'll see him at the weekend (if he turns up but that's another thread sad )
Your situation is very raw still, it will settle down...I'm amazed at how quickly my DD accepted that daddy diesnt live here anymore- she didn't ask why. I think as long as they're seeing enough of him they'll be ok xxx

Sasquatch75 Sat 14-Sep-13 20:32:41

It's so hard isn't it. It's been 6 weeks now since my husband left, and my boys have (i think) now stopped asking when daddy's coming home, why doesn't daddy love you anymore, I wish daddy still lived with us...

Every time they'd ask and get upset, I'd just cuddle them and talk about when they're going to see daddy next and what fun they'll have. How much daddy and mummy love them and how cool it'll be to go to daddy's house when he gets one and all the sleepovers they'll have. It'd make me cry too!

yetanotherstatistic Thu 19-Sep-13 11:58:22

Give them a cuddle, tell them you understand how hard it is for them and suggest they call and speak to him. I find often that is all they need for reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now