Teasmaid as sick of having no one to treat me to a cuppa in bed

(48 Posts)
RitaFajita Sat 31-Aug-13 08:59:55

After having yet another rubbish nights sleep and wishing I had an other half to treat me to an occasional cuppa in bed....I've decided to look into the idea of buying a teas maid! Probably makes me sound a right saddo!

Not sure if they still exist?
But would be so nice to wake up to a cup of tea especially with winter coming.
Anyone else have one? Any other tips for pampering ourselves a bit? Seeing as we have no one else to help us?

Happypiglet Sat 31-Aug-13 09:01:47

Ooo watching with interest have fancied a teas maid for ages!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 31-Aug-13 09:07:51

Not single but we love our morning coffee. We have had coffee "teas maid" in bedroom, it worked well but Tbh it was a bit of a faff to fill, clean etc especially as the main bedroom is on the same level as the kitchen. But great from the pov that it was right there at arms length! That was only 3 or 4 years ago so probably still available.

Now we just have a large coffee pot in the kitchen on a timer - pretty sure the same kind of thing will be available for tea.

MoreThanWords Sat 31-Aug-13 09:21:27

Lakeland do a one cuppa kind of thing.

There is still the original Teasmaid but the reviews all mention the light on it being a pain as its too bright in a dark room.

BoffinMum Sat 31-Aug-13 09:25:22

We have one, from John Lewis, and it's brilliant!!

Takver Sat 31-Aug-13 09:25:48

My parents had one for years, it died, then they bought one of the new style ones. After going through I think three which went back to the shop because of faults (the final one caught fire!) they gave up.

Instead they now have a bedside tray with a little travel kettle, two mugs with teabags in and a jug of milk plus an alarm clock - when the alarm goes off then they can just click the start on the kettle! Cheaper and foolproof . . .

mammadiggingdeep Sat 31-Aug-13 09:38:44

I have a gourmet tea maker....bit like a posh teasmaid. It's brilliant. Ex bought it for me years ago....cones on handy now on my own smile wake up to a cuppa every morning. And it doesn't answer back smile xx

GetStuffezd Sat 31-Aug-13 09:40:56

I have a coffee maker on my bedside table. It's timed to turn on five minutes before my alarm. I couldn't give a toss if it's sad - it works for me!

RitaFajita Sat 31-Aug-13 09:44:09

Thanks all will start off looking at Lakeland and John Lewis.

A travel kettle sounds like a great idea too especially if some brands could be a fire hazard!

Glad no one laughed at my idea!!

RitaFajita Sat 31-Aug-13 09:46:47

Mammadiggindeep that made me laugh. Machines are definitely the way forward!!

27cats Sat 31-Aug-13 16:40:17

I think it's a great idea too and one I've thought about too. But doesn't the milk go a bit yukky overnight? Or will a few hours out of fridge be ok? Sorry if that's a silly question.

RitaFajita Sat 31-Aug-13 16:58:24

27cats not a silly question. Maybe a picnic ice block from freezer although seems a faff.Are the little milk tubs you get with hot drink sometimes long life does anyone know?

BoffinMum Sat 31-Aug-13 17:02:18

Stick milk in a jug on windowsill and it will be fine.

LegArmpits Sat 31-Aug-13 17:04:15

We got an old one on eBay, tis ace! Hint - plastic ice cubes in a flask to keep the milk cool.

Fairypants Sat 31-Aug-13 17:05:23

We had one for years then DH dropped the pot and we never got round to replacing it.
I found the milk a problem. You can get long life tubs of milk but I struggled to find them. Thinking about t now though, you could probably get huge boxes of them from ebay or amazon.
Ours was the original swan one and the alarm went off when the tea was ready. Fab

BigFatCushion Sat 31-Aug-13 17:12:13

It was one of the first things I bought when I became a LP. It was ace. I also bought little packs of milk from amazon. Like a hotel!

It was such a nice thing to have. Felt really positive. It was a breville hot cup I think.

I moved in with DP 6 months ago and has never been used again (not boasting).

HerrenaHarridan Sat 31-Aug-13 17:37:58

Pre dc me and ex had a coffee machine and George foreman on the same extension cable with a timer plug.

It was fucking brilliant (and my genius idea!)

RitaFajita Sat 31-Aug-13 19:08:58

Omg waking up to coffee and bacon?? That's taking things to another level smile

newboo Sat 31-Aug-13 21:07:06

I love this idea- THANKYOU!

runs out to shops

HerrenaHarridan Sun 01-Sep-13 10:00:15

smilegrin

It was far and away the best idea I have ever had smile

Now in wondering why I haven't recreated it as a lone parent *duh

Takver Sun 01-Sep-13 11:25:25

Unless your bedroom is a lot hotter than ours I wouldn't think milk out overnight in a covered jug would be a problem in anything other than the height of summer!

RussianBlu Sun 01-Sep-13 22:14:59

Sounds nice, but how can you drink tea without brushing your teeth first??? Or do you run to the bathroom then run back to bed and drink your tea?

UseHerName Sun 01-Sep-13 22:26:59

i'd love one! buuutttt i heard.they have a chemically taste now and the water isn't hot enough for the tea to brew properly so i was a bit put off.....

RitaFajita Mon 02-Sep-13 08:54:22

I often have a cup of tea after I get up before brushing my teeth.... funny taste from toothpaste otherwise. Might just be me.

Chemical taste sounds off putting although the drinks from the drinks machine at work aren't great but I drink them!

Saw flasks in Tescos yesterday that said keep drinks hot for 12 hours.... cheaper option but probably would end up with a half cold drink?

TwoStepsBeyond Mon 02-Sep-13 10:10:56

Little kettle sounds like the best plan to me <toddles of to look at Argos kettle range>

You can get the little pots of milk from Costco too, if you know someone who's a member get them to pick up a box for you. Otherwise just stand the jug of milk on/under an ice pack and I'm sure it will keep cool until morning (you could put it into an insulated lunch box too).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now