Are your children known in school by "known name" not legal name (I.e name on birth cert)?

(7 Posts)
ourlittlestreet Mon 12-Aug-13 23:16:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Mon 12-Aug-13 23:54:45

My DD is registered at school, GP, dentist etc. as my surname. Her BC is her name, my surname then ex's surname. We did this for her starting P1. I did discuss it with my ex 1st, he didn't object, and the school have her name as my surname only, although official papers do still have her full name.

The whole name thing is a civil issue, and is something that can become contentious if your ex finds out, and decides to take issue with it if he has PR. The school may require confirmation from your ex, before agreeing to do this. I didn't have any problems as my ex agreed, and was at the school with us when DD was registered so HT saw for herself that it wasn't contentious. With GP and dentist, I simply changed things without them asking for anything from my ex. That might not be the way they should have dealt with it, but that's what happened for me. I think it often comes down to how clued up those involved in recording the details are on what is required to make the change official.

Meglet Wed 14-Aug-13 18:48:27

Sadly not. As XP is on the birth certificate and made me give the dc's his surname, then the school have to use it. He's been gone for 4yrs now and the kids wouldn't know him if they saw him in the street.

I did ask the school if they could change it but they refused. I was advised by a solicitor I wasn't even allowed to double-barrel it. sad

ourlittlestreet Thu 15-Aug-13 00:29:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ghirly Fri 16-Aug-13 00:23:31

Not sure if its different in Scotland where I live but DS has his fathers surname in his birth certificate but is known everywhere else by my surname.
I changed it when he was 18 months old so it's the only surname he has ever known.

School have him registered as ex partners surname (as iys his 'official' name) but he has a "known as" surname.

Sometimes a supply teacher or on report cards they use his bc name and DS hates it, keeps asking me to tell the school but only being 8 he doesn't understand the legalities.

I recently got his passport in my surname as his father (although still a big part of his life) has no PR and I just had to get it validated by a local councillor.

DS goes back to school tomoro so I'm going to see if they can accept his passport as an official change of name so they can drop ex partners surname but if not ill just need to pay to get his bc changed.

(Even tho ex still sees our son he is fine with the name change as his family were incredible awful to both my son and I during the break up so ex understands why I don't want my son to have their name.)

Helentres Thu 22-Aug-13 15:34:24

My sons school drive me insane with his name hmm. His name is first name, my surname, exes surname. Double barrelled. I asked them to call him Ben my surname. But instead they call him Benjamin exes surname. Or Ben my surname initial, exes surname initial... Hope that makes sense. I hate it because they're confusing him with different names. He has a hard time grasping things as it is as he has learning difficulties without them adding to it by confusing him about his name.

Clearface49 Sun 29-May-16 23:39:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now