Right! Where do we find nice single men?!?!

(193 Posts)
SnoopyLovesYou Sun 28-Jul-13 16:03:34

Ok everybody! Where do us single parents meet attractive, nice, single men?

The local gym/ swimming pool?

Online dating?

Clubs & pubs?

Sports clubs?

Evening classes?

I know I've previously said Im happy being single and I am but I'm also young and red blooded and in need of male attention atm!

If we put our heads together, we might be able to find one or two between us?

;-)

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 18:37:33

Well my two latest POFs that I've been e-chatting with are

-married but separated but don't want to get a divorce. I'm staying away.

-Has a lover in another city. Doesn't want a relationship. Just 'fun.'

I'm not going to meet either of them. Yawn!

Poster above: Please share with us how you manage to filter out all the unavailable/ inappropriate ones :-)

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 18:38:31

Hey Equinox. Are there eligible guys that go to meet-ups?

Can I join? I'm seeing someone but I know it's doomed hmm
I have v small dc and I work a really female profession - I never just meet single men hmm

TwoStepsBeyond Mon 29-Jul-13 20:10:35

Maybe I'm just not that attractive so they didn't bother me! I hid my profile so the men couldn't search for me, that ruled out anyone I hadn't chosen myself, it was then down to me to add them as a favourite based on whichever criteria I wanted (non-smoker, kids, distance, whether he could spell/construct a sentence, whether he had photos of himself at the gym (no) or with a car (no) or a wife(no) etc!)

I think in fairness it was just instinct and chatting briefly online, I got a sense of whether they were really interested in meeting up straight away, arranged dates quickly and obviously just struck lucky. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it makes me sad when people write it off altogether, because actually some of them are decent normal men who, like us, want to cut straight to meeting someone, not hanging around waiting for their dream woman to walk into their lives by coincidence.

shanelle5 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:23:10

OOH like this thread! I met my last partner on POF, he turned out to be an alcoholic with severe MH issues and was lovely to begin with but quite quickly started to be abusive. hmm
I have heard a lot of horror stories since about that site so staying well clear but the odd one or 2 nice tales like the lady above does filter through so who knows..
What about evening classes ladies? Was thinking of joining a salsa or similar class and also possibly a martial arts/boxersise etc. I thought that may be good? Also someone else mentioned having a 9 month old baby, I too have a baby - he is 8 months, I dont think anyone is really going to be interested yet as its probably a massive no no, so what age do you think is acceptable to start dating again? Over a year maybe?

Shanelle I have a baby under a year. - it doesn't seem to put them off :-)

I have browsed POF it's full of either men I know (exes included) or men I have seen hanging around dating sites for years now...

ilovepicnmix Mon 29-Jul-13 20:36:01

There's a programme in bbc1 now about online dating!

God dammit in stick upstairs feeding the baby!

ilovepicnmix Mon 29-Jul-13 20:44:46

It's looking at fake profilrs. So people are getting emails from fake people set up by the company to lure them into signing up. I did dating direct about 5 years ago and met loads of nice guys. I have a 1 yo now and the logistics of actually going on a date is too much hassle for me right now. I'd love a good snog though!

shanelle5 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:46:20

LOL hamwidge : )
I may join POF purely to be nosey - I wouldnt be surprised if my ex is back on there! Didnt realise you could hide your profile and look round without being spotted lol
Glad, if a little surprised to hear babies doesnt always put them off, and anyway it passed a bit of time of an evening..
I am looking at OK Cupid too as that is also free grin

Oic. Can't say I've had that problem but some sites do seen to sell your details to others so you end up with duplicate profiles all over the place.

ilovepicnmix Mon 29-Jul-13 20:51:10

Ok cupid is one of the sites looked at on this programme. I don't want to meet someone with a baby and I have one grin

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 20:54:42

Ooh this programme is getting CREEPY!!!!!

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 20:56:50

Think I'm ready to delete my POF profile now!

ilovepicnmix Mon 29-Jul-13 21:01:29

I've always though sites you pay for are better as the men would be more serious and less likely to be married etc. However, I couldn't justify spending the money these days.

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 21:08:36

Anyway, let's maybeforget about Internet dating for this thread?

Where do we meet men in real life where we can size them up?

What about bars & clubs? Maybe not all weirdos? I don't mean one night stands but like if someone were to ask you for your number? Is this a weird way of doing things? It probably is isn't it?

Anybody met anyone while on holidays with their kids? Or in the park/ on the beach?

Running clubs or night classes.

Ps previous poster in my experience dance classes like salsa are all women and the public ones are all women and male pervs! ;-)

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 21:10:46

As you can see, I am a pretty long time away from the 'dating scene' or 'having a proper social life' having been in a negative relationship for a lot of years so any advice on real life dos and don'ts will be gratefully received :-)

I didn't know that about the profile hiding either - that solves one massive problem for me I might sign up grin

shanelle5 Mon 29-Jul-13 21:16:57

mass exodus to POF to sign up and hide profile grin

Cindy34 Mon 29-Jul-13 21:17:46

How about some of the men on here? Or is that a bit too weird?

gym sauna, spa pool seems a good place to chat, hard to know who is single but it's a numbers game isn't it, ask them all and eventually some will be single.

I know personally some of the men on here too. Sigh

I also know lots of the guys in my gym - I live in a small place that's just how it is.

ilovepicnmix Mon 29-Jul-13 21:22:15

I think the stats are that most people meet their partners through work. I just can't imagine anyone chatting me up when im with my son. Apart from the fact that no one probably wants to chat me up I think people would assume I'm not single. I went to a family friendly music festival recently but I didn't see any single men/dads. I suspect bars or pubs are the way forward as long as you've not got your beer goggles on.

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 29-Jul-13 21:38:29

Haha Cindy I am loving your style!!!!!

Me in swimsuit: Hi. Just wondering if you're single???

shanelle5 Mon 29-Jul-13 21:47:37

LOL snoopy! This thread is funny and depressing all at once grin

MoreThanWords Mon 29-Jul-13 21:53:39

I swore I would only dated friends of friends (so they are sort of recommended!) and with a crb check! Have yet to find the combination of those two things plus single and physically/emotionally compatible.

I've looked at the meet up website - it looks quite good, but am struggling for childcare atm (exh v. poorly so isn't having the kids at all for the foreseeable future).

Does anyone remember a sort of dating programme a few years ago where they basically asked all the single person's friends to find her a boyfriend? My mates just look at me a bit hmm when I ask them these days.

And don't start me on the people who say "Oh, you're better off single anyway" "What do you want a boyfriend for?" The only good things about being single are less washing/cooking and I can fart in my own bed in peace wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now