Anyone else feeling a bit 'lone' at the moment?

(40 Posts)

Ok, so the sunny days are lovely. Filled with family and friends when I'm not working. I'm very lucky to have lots of people nearby. Had the paddling pool and lots of nice play days. However come night time I'm finding it hard. At home alone every night, toddler in bed listening to lots of fun gatherings going on around me. I guess I'm missing adult conversation a bit.

I love my life and I'm bloody grateful for what I've got but any suggestions how to beat this loneliness at night is very welcome. I do have people over occasionally but to be honest they tend to want to do things with their families in the evening. Fair enough. Just feel the 'lone' parent bit is extra apparent at the moment. Anyone else?

RitaFajita Sun 14-Jul-13 14:26:03

OMG teenage years sound hell. Struggling to do our best on our own for years, and then be treated like shit dirt - lovely!!!

changeforthebetter Sun 14-Jul-13 14:27:42

I'm in Yorkshire smile

notanyanymore Sun 14-Jul-13 14:32:47

I sometimes miss being a single parent. I feel more alone now me and dp are living back together then I did when we were apart. Often all those 'jolly families' that make you feel sad when your heading up your single parent family are not as happy as you might think sad

changeforthebetter Sun 14-Jul-13 14:46:11

I know notanyanymore and I lived in one of those "happy couples" and it was lonely. It's just such damned hard work - relentless drudgery. I love my kids and they do see X regularly but I want to scream when people. Say it's "time off" - yes, time off from being a 24 hour LP and time spent catching up on jobs that need full concentration without the interventions of warring or wombling kids and that require you to be sufficiently awake ie not post-bedtime. I am sick of living in an exhausted fog the whole time. I take. Low dose AD too. I am probably becoming more and more introverted as I need time alone to wind down from a very people-focused job.

Indiansinthelobby <belatedly notices OP's nickname blush> you clearly have exquisite taste!grin

changeforthebetter Sun 14-Jul-13 14:47:45

Sorry for the random full stops - typing ineptly in full sunlight blush

changeforthebetter Sun 14-Jul-13 14:50:07

WTF? Part of my post was "eaten"angry
Indiansinthelobby - I had only just seen your nickname! That was why I referred to your good taste!

Ha ha. Yes a west Wing nut. Unfortunately dick head ex took 3 DVD players and so I have to watch on the laptop hmm. At least I have that boxset for company!

There was me thinking you meant the Indian in the cupboard....
I'm south west - I'd invite you all over for cake if you were nearer grin

Callmedreckly Sun 14-Jul-13 16:51:52

Im south west Hamwidges grin

teetering13 Sun 14-Jul-13 16:56:50

Northwest wannabe southwest here

I went self employed to fit work round the kids, I do love it but then it does isolate you even more ... can't win :/

Is never have guessed from your nn CallMe he he he

I am at Janner Town on sea grin

SnoopyLovesYou Sun 14-Jul-13 20:15:41

BurberryQueen this sort of misinformed bitching is ALL my family of origin ever do. Probably why I haven't seen a single one of them in 6 months! :-)

SnoopyLovesYou Sun 14-Jul-13 20:20:09

Nb I don't live in mainland Britain at all

Cup of tea made. Ironing pile growing. Nothing on TV.Here we go again.

bigstrongmama Sun 14-Jul-13 20:36:34

Changeforthebetter - I'm in Yorkshire too... Pretty big place but if you are near...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now