Play and sinle parenting

(4 Posts)
paulines Sat 25-May-13 22:15:56

Im having a hard time atm working out how to handle play with my daughter, she is 3 and a half. I love playing with her but as a single mum its just the two of us a lot and I have become her best friend.

That sounds lovely but there are some problems arising. She is becoming very demanding and quite stroppy. At a recent event she was at her singing teachers even noticed how mega confident, but demanding she is. She is loving and sweet but also wants me to play 24/7.

Second problem is the guilt I feel when i cant play, as have stuff to do, or I just dont want to, Im a grown up and a few hours is enough Tevery ay pretending to be a dog or a monster or whatever character she would like me to be.

I feel guilty as she is an only child so i do play a lot, but i know if i was still with her dad or a partner there would be less of my time focused purely on her. Its making her behaviour quite dramatic, but i dont know if thats due to me spending too much time playing with her or its just a natural part of her nature, or she is missing out on having a sibling or 2 parent unit where she would be forced to entertain herself more.

Would love any advice x

Raaraathenoisybaby Sun 26-May-13 21:16:08

Can you be more specific about her behaviour?

Grockle Sun 26-May-13 23:58:30

DS went through a very demanding phase at about the same age. It was hard - it's always been just the 2 of us so he's been used to having my full attention. He found it hard (& still does but to a much lesser extent) when my attention was on something/ someone else - if I answered the phone, he'd talk very loudly to me whilst I was trying to speak to the person on the phone.

It was just a phase... a long one, but just a phase. I think you need to do lots of reassuring but encouraging your DD to do something by herself for 5 mins, so she gets used to doing an activity or spending time without your input.

DS was also quite dramatic - he now goes to theatre school grin

On the plus side, people always comment on DS - how polite, kind, independent, caring, grown up he is. And that's down to me [proud]

purpleroses Mon 27-May-13 17:51:23

Can you do more to set up play dates for her? Or set her up with some paints, pens, etc so that she can then spend a bit of time creating things and not requiring 100% of your attention? That's a bit of a compromise between playing and just saying "go and amuse yourself". Though I do think there's nothing wrong in expecting them to play on their own some of the time. Even with two kids they don't always play together - especially if one is very young.

I very rarely play with either of my kids really - it's not something that comes naturally. I'd sooner look after a friend's kid for the afternoon so they have someone to play with.

That said, my DD is also a very confident but demanding child. I think that is just the way she is. DS is nothing like that and I've parented him much the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now