Have any of you been stopped and questioned while travelling with child with different surname?

(68 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Sat 11-May-13 20:02:59

While flying in EU?

No, but when I take my kids to Israel I get DH to write a note on a photocopy of their passports saying he is ok with me taking the kids out of the UK. Never needed it but better safe than sorry. Different surnames as well.

burberryqueen Sat 11-May-13 20:07:01

no but my sister in law was once, luckily she was not a lone parent and her oh was also on the coach, being a lazy arse and leaving her to go through with the child. It was suggested she should carry a birth cert if she was travelling alone in the future.

Itsmymove Sat 11-May-13 20:10:01

We are going on our first hol with DS next Tuesday grin, my DS has DPs surname and mine as his middle name, hopefully that would resolve any potential query??

ginmakesitallok Sat 11-May-13 20:10:56

No never

Kahuna Sat 11-May-13 20:20:22

Yes, actually on the journey BACK in to the UK…..

Got on the ferry from the UK to Belgium - no problems. Travelled from Belgium to France, again no problems. Stayed in France for 5 days – no problems.
On the return journey checking in at the ferry port at Belgium I was asked to produce documents to prove that I was allowed to take my son [different surname to me] from his originating country???

I was trying to take him BACK to his originating country. He had his own passport so no indication that he was a possible Belgian being removed from his country of birth….He was 100% UK and we were travelling to the UK….
Since then I have always requested, and received a letter from DS’s father stating that he is aware of and condones the travel between DS’s residential country and the visiting one between X and Y dates.
Funnily enough, ever since I have had such a letter in my possession whilst travelling alone with DS I have never been asked about him???

PurpleThing Sat 11-May-13 21:34:59

Itsmymove Not in my experience. Ds has the same middle/surname thing and I needed something else to prove I was his mother. (I had actually got a letter from ex organised but didn't have it on me. Ds had been taken to hospital from the plane on the way in so we had bypassed border control and I'd forgotten there could be any issue going home again.)

Ds was 2.5 and had speech delay and they kept asking "Who is this?" and waving my passport in his face. He was eating a Kinder egg and said nothing. They let us through as I went on about how he'd just got out of hospital.

paneer Sat 11-May-13 23:49:03

Whenever I return to the UK with DD I always get asked whether she is my daughter (we have different last names).

I was warned about this so always have a copy of her birth certificate with her passport.

LadyBoubou Sun 12-May-13 13:27:38

I have also had problems... when entering the UK. The border agency staff asked my 3 yr old ( at the time) who her mother was ! When I dared to suggest they rephrased it to "who is your mummy?" they got really cross and told me to keep quiet!! but she then pointed to me! I was handed a leaflet on child trafficking.

gettingeasiernow Sun 12-May-13 16:52:25

My ds has travelled to Germany with my dh who is not his father and whose name he doesn't share. They weren't questioned. I provided statement saying he was allowed to and copy of passport just in case - ds is 10 and fairly articulate and credible anyway. On the other hand, they always seem to query who I am when ds and I come home from Germany together, even though we do share the same name and couldn't look more similar.

exexpat Sun 12-May-13 17:03:47

Yes, several times at airports and Eurostar stations. I have a different surname from the DCs, which seems to be the main trigger, although it seems illogical to me: I would have thought it was equally likely for a divorced parent with the same surname as the DCs to be trying to spirit them away overseas in a custody dispute.

I always travel with copies of their birth certificates, and DH's death certificate in lieu of a letter of permission from the other parent.

Has never crossed my mind. Bur I have only travelled abroad once with my 10 year old.
He looks so like me and we are clearly close so no one could question that I was his mum.
But I must think about this for the future.

exexpat Sun 12-May-13 17:14:42

Looks don't seem to make any difference - DD is an absolute mini-me, and has my surname as a middle name, but I have still been questioned multiple times.

Lily311 Sun 12-May-13 19:02:44

Yes. Hence I always have birth certificate w me.
They asked me her dob, where she was born, her second name, where the father was.

Every single bloody time I come back into the country. I was advised by BA to carry a copy of her birth certificate which I do, but I have never been asked to show it.

ubik Sun 12-May-13 20:28:00

This has happened to several friends-in fact a friend married her DP and officially changed her surname to the same as her childrens, partly for this reason.

My aunty was nit allowed on Eurostar with her grandson without a letter giving permission fro his mother.

NotTreadingGrapes Sun 12-May-13 20:29:02

Yes. As I've said on numerous threads about this.

And as I've also said on the numerous threads, it's to check that the child travelling with its mammy (or daddy) is doing so with the other parent's permission (ie not being abducted across a border possibly into a non-Hague-signatory country)

Within the next few years it will be airport wide across Europe (bringing it more in line with the US and Canada)

NotTreadingGrapes Sun 12-May-13 20:29:40

It's nothing to do with surnames being different btw.

I have been stopped before passports were even handed over.

NulliusInBlurba Sun 12-May-13 20:33:27

Last year was the first time DH travelled with the DDs alone on a plane - they have my surname. He brought their birth certs just in case, but we couldn't manage to produce a letter of permission from me because it was a family emergency and I had already flown on ahead to arrange a funeral (so I was in a different country to them).

DH wasn't asked for actual proof, but the border guard apparently made a 'witty' comment about him taking the neighbours' kids on holiday! When I dropped them off at the airport on the way back I hung around for an hour at departures just in case I was asked to confirm DH's right to travel with them, but there was no comment that time.

Both DDs look so much like DH (there's a family eyebrow they've inherited) that there's actually no doubt they're genetically related, but I suppose that doesn't guarantee a parent/child relationship.

The weird thing is that although DH and DDs have different names, they all have the same nationality, whereas I have their name but travel on a different passport. No border guard has ever questioned why my children have different passports to me, probably because it's all EU anyway.

meglet England Sun 12-May-13 20:35:47

This scares the willies out of me. XP has been gone for 4yrs so he can't do a letter. Absent abusive parents can't write letters.

I'd love to take the dc's to Paris when they're older and we have an invite for the States in a few years. They have a different surname (thanks XP angry) and different hair colour.

Yep. Stopped at both sides of plane ride back from Ireland - and both mentioned DD's different surname and colouring. She was 4 months at the time, after which I finally gave in and changed my very Irish surname to DH's African one (totally outs me!)

Nope, never and I travel on a NZ PP whereas the kids travel on UK ones. We fly a lot too, 2-3 x a year.

meglet England Sun 12-May-13 20:49:38

When they stop and question you do they take the kids into a different room? It sounds terrifying sad.

How does a birth certificate make any difference? It wouldn't be able to prove whether a child was being taken with permission?

Bvlgari Sun 12-May-13 20:58:29

I still travel under my maiden name, I've been asked questions coming back into the UK
Just a couple of questions, and they sometimes ask ds something, just like "have you been on holiday"
One time he was about 3, he was screaming and wet himself on me, I was carrying him, it was about 1am and he'd just woken up, they weren't suspicious, they just have to ask the questions
I do carry his birth certificate and my marriage certificate too

They don't take you aside, just a couple of questions as you're going through

NorbertDentressangle Sun 12-May-13 20:59:37

When we traveled back from Portugal about 4/5 years ago the DC were 'questioned' in an informal way as to who they were with.

They were traveling with me and DP (their Dad) but they have DPs surname and mine is different. Also DP has a non-UK (but other EU country) passport which might have complicated things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now