Mealtimes!

(11 Posts)
Meglet Sat 20-Apr-13 20:11:37

I always eat on my own after they're in bed. But they have nursery / school dinners in the week whereas I have a light lunch at work and need hot food in the evening.

I also prefer eating on my own as it gives me something to look forward to once their in bed.

So I prepare two lots of food after work, I do like to make life hard for myself grin.

2anddone Sat 20-Apr-13 20:07:17

Can I just quickly hijack the thread to say thank you. Since I became a lp Sunday I have been overwhelmed by the support shown on mn and in rl x
As for puddings Lala? My dc have fruit, yoghurt or their favourite thing is to 'cupboard dive' which basically means choosing something out of the school pack up box!

HerrenaHarridan Sat 20-Apr-13 14:27:42

Yy to meal planning smile

I like to do meals that roll into each other eg

Macaroni cheese, spag Bol, lasagne

Roast chicken, chicken pasta salad, chicken pie

Slow cooked lamb breast (gravy, mash and peas), shepherds pie

This also means you don't have to try and cook stupidly small portions.

We eat together at 1830, bath, tidy up, bed 1930 smile

(((((((big hugs 2anddone))))))))
i've been lp for 5and 1/2 years now, you're welcome to pm me if you need a chat xx

LalaDipsey Sat 20-Apr-13 06:33:55

Thanks. Eat with them it is then! I feel like I need to menu plan all of a sudden and get super organised. I can't eat fish so will either eat differently or later on fish pie/fish cake night, ditto with 'freezer meal' night!
Definitely need to rack my brains for more than mince based stuff and I can't wait until the twins let me cook without crying round my feet to be picked up!
Also, what sort of puddings do people do? Mine have yoghurt, rice pudding, jelly and sometimes cake along with fruit. Any other ideas?
Thanks - can't name check back on iPhone but big hugs to the lady who's been single since Sunday smile

2anddone Fri 19-Apr-13 18:36:48

I eat at the same time as dc about 5.30, totally agree its easier than cooking twice! I also batch cook and freeze in single portion containers similar to Chinese, so that I can eat different things to them without hassle too especially if they have had a hot meal at school. ((hugs)) I am in same boat as you and have been a lone parent since Sunday. X

keelyboo Fri 19-Apr-13 16:20:03

I either eat with them at 5-5.30 or i dish mine up and reheat it after they go to bed, depends how my days been sometimes its nice to wait until they are in bed and stick it in the microwave and then eat it in total silence..its bliss lol i dont cook 2 meals never have, sometimes me and the bf have a takeaway after they go to bed but thats rare x

AllDirections Fri 19-Apr-13 14:28:49

I've always eaten with the DC at between 5-6pm (5pm being the best time if bath and bedtime is going to happen at the right time). Yes it's too early but it's better than having to cook again later.

(feel free to pm me smile )

hi lala (((((((((((virtual hugs)))))))))
i have always tried to eat with dd round about 5 - half 5ish, mainly because i enjoy it and it teaches her healthy attitudes about food and mealtimes. i understand that you may not feel ready to eat at that time so perhaps you could have a smaller portion and eat a light supper when your dc are in bed?

LalaDipsey Fri 19-Apr-13 14:25:29

Hi, I am about to be a lone parent and wondered what most of you do about evening meals! At the moment I feed the dc at 5pm and I and H eat about 8. I really don't want to cook again once dc are in bed but am not sure I am ready to eat at 5 either. I want to try and eat properly - I am still breastfeeding and want to lost half a stone or so! Do most of you eat with dc or later on your own and what sort of meals do you cook?
I have 3 dc - a 3.5yr old dd and 16 month old twins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now