Now a LP to 2 DCs, tips for food shop/cooking etc

(35 Posts)
leftfootrightfoot Sun 24-Mar-13 08:17:11

My H was full time earner I was SAHM, we didn't have lots of money but enough but now he has gone and got himself a house with the OW (less than 3 weeks after he left to "find himself" hmm ). I am looking at shopping and feeding 2 DCs (3 and 6) and myself on minimum money, has anyone got any tips or doable budgets. Since he has left I have been cooking way to much so have started weighing my portions. I have always cooked from scratch, we eat a bit of meat but not a lot as its expensive but now all the packs have so much in for just us three. I googled budget recipes and they were still coming in way to expensive for us

IntheFrame Sun 24-Mar-13 15:11:58

Er £4 for a chicken not £40!!

Also tick the substitution box when buying own label items and often you get a "better" quality item if they aren't in stock.

leftfootrightfoot Sun 24-Mar-13 15:44:14

Was thinking that is one giant chicken!!!!! Thanks so much, I used to get ocado value stuff as they are supposed to match tesco but I will recheck the prices

coffeewineandchocolate Sun 24-Mar-13 16:41:05

I might be a little weird but i actually really enjoy budget shopping. It sends to oddly bring much more variety to our meals. Before we tended to have a samey diet but buying stuff which is reduced it changing which cuts of meat we cook with has resulted in some amazing dishes which were really cheap but really delicious!

blackeyedsusan Sun 24-Mar-13 22:44:16

home bargains do 24 wheat bisks for 49p, morrisons cornflkes are 31p for 500g and more acceptable thaan asda smart price

smart price/value chicken is cheap per kilo. roast enough veggies and potatoes for 3 days. keep them in the fridge and use for the next 2 meals. heat in microwave. use value frozen broccoli/cauli/peas/sweetcorn

make you own gravy from the meat juices and vegetable water. keep in the fridge. use the remainder to make chicken soup. (carrots, redonion, half courgette if availaaable and cheap, butter beans from a tin (3 for £1 at home bargains) splash of white wine/balsamic vinegar/soy sauce if available. top up with some water add some pearl barley or rice or pasta to make it filling.

blackeyedsusan Sun 24-Mar-13 22:52:46

value kidney beans or 3 for a £1 chick peas or beans make meat go further.

morrisons value wholemeal bread is only 50p, tesco cheaper at 47 i think. asda smrt price and morrisons savers beans are ok for 25p a tin. wholemeal bed and beans give you the right mix of aminocids if I remember correctly. i buy tesco o morisons value soft cheese as it is most like philadelphia.

check the price per kilo of everything.

blackeyedsusan Sun 24-Mar-13 22:55:23

daisy anti bac spray from tesco as less than a pound when I last stocked up.

leftfootrightfoot Mon 25-Mar-13 10:56:19

Done tesco order for 45, will need some more milk and probs bananas but hoping that will last the week, thanks everyone for your help, now to work out some more cheap recipes with a bit of meat in for DS

leftfootrightfoot Mon 25-Mar-13 12:19:14

Does anyone know of links that really do have budget meals, not the sort of budget meals that come out as £5 for a family dinner?

Thanks

coffeewineandchocolate Mon 25-Mar-13 12:33:21
coffeewineandchocolate Mon 25-Mar-13 12:36:02

www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

There are also really good cheap recipes on the credit crunch and food threads on MN.

Report back on any really nice ones :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now