running out of steam

(6 Posts)
spiritedaway Thu 21-Mar-13 09:36:22

Give me some strength. . On my own with 4 children and manage pretty well. . But feel like i am getting more and more tired and run down. My 2 year old is so full on and into banshee screaming. To try and give them all individual time i end up seeing my 13yr old to bed about 10pm and then housework for another hour or so. My parents occasionally land but my mother shirks any idea that they spend time with the kids without me. Just need to whine really. Any tips on injecting a bit of energy or enthusiasm for life?

Teachercreature Thu 21-Mar-13 12:06:28

Have you got any friends who could take the kids for a bit? Perhaps even another single mum you could swap with? Sounds like a break is much needed! Failing that, leave the housework for a night and have a long hot bath with a glass of wine. Spoil yourself in small ways whenever you can. And don't be hard on yourself - sounds like you're doing an amazing job in tricky circumstances, you should be proud!

Fleecyslippers Thu 21-Mar-13 16:01:22

You are doing an amazing job bringing up 4 kids on your own - it's no wonder that you are knackered!
I've really had to lower my standards with regards housework - not that I had stupidly high standards in the first place ;-) I do try and prioritise more and leave things like changing beds etc a little longer than I used to. I also try and engage the kids in helping out in a fun way. Eldest DD loves cooking so I try and combine my 'time' with her with bulk cooking food. I'm guilty of running around after my lot too much - they are capable of far more in terms of picking up/cleaning up after themselves than I give them credit for.
Can you afford a little bit of help with ironing etc ? When I reached a really low point about a year ago, I did a bit of juggling the budget and got someone to clean for me 2 hours a week. Was so worth it for a short term boost.

foolonthehill Fri 22-Mar-13 09:53:54

Feel for you Op, I am the same and no body around to give practical help...i think for most friends it's daunting to think of having all 4 ...so either you try to co-ordinate a few different play dates with different families or find a childminder who also babysits or other experienced person who could give you an evening off (assuming need experience as your age range is broad).

I have done neither of these things....'cos I'm too tired to think about it and sort it even though I know it would help.

Teachercreature Fri 22-Mar-13 11:03:03

Ladies I really feel you all - I have just the one and that's tough enough! Here's a site my friend massively recommends: http://www.sitters.co.uk/

You could give them a call/drop them an email and discuss needing someone experienced and capable of dealing with a good age range? Even just a short break does wonders!

Also love the tip about getting children to help out more - my daughter's seven and she is always happy to join in with jobs.

And wish you all the very best!

Teachercreature Fri 22-Mar-13 11:03:37

*feel FOR you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now