School Dilemma

(11 Posts)
ConfuzzledMummy Thu 24-Jan-13 21:13:13

Hi Ladies,

I have recently left my partner who i have a 2 year old daughter with, I have moved out and where i am living there is a lovely little school just down the road. The thing is i have put her name down at the school where we used to live and that is where all her cousins go. Its quite a way from where we are living now and its not really an appealing thought to be walking there in the winter or the pouring rain! If she did go to the school where her cousins go she wouldnt really see them as they're older than her anyway, so do I keep her at the other school or put her name down at the school nearer to where we live? confused

MN044 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:19:04

How do you already have her name down at 2 years old?

ConfuzzledMummy Thu 24-Jan-13 21:34:20

Shes 3 in november and the school shes got her name down at have early intakes so she will be going to school next january.

sailingmummy Thu 24-Jan-13 23:07:06

I would put her name down near where you live - then she will make local friends, and you won't have to play taxi getting her to friends parties etc the other side of town!

growingroots Fri 25-Jan-13 08:18:39

Make life as easy as possible for yourself!

Snorbs Fri 25-Jan-13 08:26:48

If your ex's name is on the birth certificate then both you and he have Parental Responsibility for your daughter. PR obliges you to discuss major parenting decisions, and that includes schooling. What does your ex think?

TheBakeryQueen Sat 26-Jan-13 20:55:04

Definitely go for the local school. It will be best for her & you in the long term. Local friends etc.

Sorry to hear you're going through a break up.

TheBakeryQueen Sat 26-Jan-13 20:57:03

And now you've moved you mightn't get accepted for the school further away anyway.

Littlefish Sat 26-Jan-13 21:07:45

Is this state or Private? If it's a state school, then she will be starting Nursery at 3, not School. It is unusual for attendance at a nursery to have any kind of link with subsequent attendance at the schools ie. you still have to apply for a school place and will not receive any preferential treatment due to having been at the Nursery.

How much time does she spend with her dad? I would suggest it makes more sense for her to attend the school nearest to her primary residence, but this is something you will need to negotiate with your ex, if he has parental responsibility.

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Jan-13 21:09:54

Definitely choose the school down the road. She will make friends who live close and your lives will be so much easier on a day to day basis.

ConfuzzledMummy Sun 27-Jan-13 09:01:23

Sorry littlefish i meant nursery, thanks ladies i will discuss it with my ex. It would definately be a lot easier for us in the long run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now