What to do with the engagement ring

(6 Posts)
Alexapestbum Wed 02-Jan-13 13:33:16

My ex and I have been in an off relationship for the past 8 years, the first 2 of which we were engaged. I kept the ring thinking every time we got back together I'd need it again at some point. I never did.
Times are hard after Christmas and I'm wondering seeing as though it's not going to be needed would it be ok to sell it?

It's yours to sell. I do suggest you have a little treat with it though to celebrate not being tied to a bad relationship smile

Alexapestbum Wed 02-Jan-13 13:46:05

I was thinking of taking my lo on her first holiday abroad. I don't know why I feel so guilty about it, 8 years of crap I bloody deserve the cash!

duffybeatmetoit Wed 02-Jan-13 14:07:31

I've kept mine to give to DD when she's older (looks like a dress ring rather than engagement ring). I think the etiquette is that you return it but spending the money on lo seems ok.

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Wed 02-Jan-13 14:09:31

It's legally yours to sell. I would also advise checking it out with two or three different jewellers (go to high street jewellers/pawnbrokers not the online gold-buyers as you will get a much better price); also ask how much you would get if you pawned it rather than selling it outright.

Peterpan101 Thu 03-Jan-13 10:33:32

Traditionally it is seen as part of a 'contract to marry' and should be returned. However most solicitors consider it to be a gift now. Don't think for a second you'll get anywhere near what it cost in the shop though (maybe pay for petrol to Cornwall rather than holiday abroad?!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now