DD, ex and smoking

(6 Posts)
Tillylils Wed 14-Nov-12 21:13:32

DD is 6 and stays at her dads place with him and his gf every other weekend fri-sun. They both smoke but I've asked them not to smoke inside even when dd is not there because of the chemicals etc. They have agreed to this but some of the clothes she brought home a few weeks ago smelt if stale smoke. He said this was because he'd left them in the car and he'd been smoking in the car (something else I'm not happy about). Today, more clothes have come home smelling of smoke. They are obviously still smoking indoors. Is there anything I can do?

NatashaBee Wed 14-Nov-12 21:16:20

Not necessarily - smoke clings to everything. I used to come home stinking of smoke from friends houses, even when they didn't smoke in the house. I wouldn't go in accusing them unless you are certain they're still smoking inside.

Snorbs Wed 14-Nov-12 21:26:21

I sympathise because the same happens with my DCs but I haven't even bothered asking my ex to not smoke in her house as she'd not pay the slightest bit of attention.

The sad truth is that there's very little you can do unless you can get a doctor to write a letter saying that being around cigarette smoke is exacerbating a medical condition that DD might have. Smoking at home while children are there isn't against the law. A court isn't going to tell someone not to smoke in their own home unless there are clear and exceptional reasons for such an order to be made.

purpleroses Wed 14-Nov-12 21:32:46

Not much really. Hang the clothes on the line to get rid of the smoke. Tell your DD how bad smoking is for you - and she might pester her dad a bit? Kids are quite good at that. But at the end of the day it's not illegal to smoke around children, and some people do.

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 14-Nov-12 21:34:05

Uuuurgh my ex does this too. Horrid. & he still smokes in car with DS despite me forwarding all the latest studies about it etc. but sadly not a thing we can do about it I don't think sad

Tillylils Wed 14-Nov-12 22:20:01

Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought that might be the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now