child tax credits/maintainance payments

(11 Posts)
Nurse30emma Thu 08-Nov-12 18:29:16

hi would really appreciate advice i'm recently seperated from my husband and have the kids mon-fri he has them at the weekends. i have applied for child tax credits on my own; he's refusing to pay child maintainance payments and says that he can't afford it on his own wage and that because i'm making the single claim for child tax credits this stops him making his own claim for the children. hope this makes sence. can he do this? is he entitled to some of my child tax credit claim?/to claim for one of the kids ? it leaves him £1500 to live on, i'd be on £2000 with my wage, ctc and child benefits. have i any right to ask him to pay maintainance? he's threatened to go for full custudy of the kids if i go down csa route and to cast aspersions about my parenting. would really appreciate any advice.

AmberLeaf Thu 08-Nov-12 18:34:25

He's trying it on.

You do have the right to ask for child support.

I would do the calculator thingy on the CSA website and see what sort of sum it comes up with according to his earnings and how many nights a ear he has them, just to see where you both stand.

Nurse30emma Thu 08-Nov-12 18:36:43

i had depression a few years ago i'm scared he will use it against me he's threatened to, thanks will check out csa website. don't want to fleece him but don't see why he shouldnt pay towards his children.

Nurse30emma Thu 08-Nov-12 18:40:42

just checked csa calculater it worked out £250 a month, going to see citizens advice re child tax credit thing/possibly ring up child tax credit people, thanks for advice.

AmberLeaf Thu 08-Nov-12 18:42:27

Oh that's rotten of him to threaten you with.

Yes CAB is a good idea.

Good luck and try not to worry about his threats. smile

Nurse30emma Thu 08-Nov-12 19:48:13

thanks, just want to focus on the kids.

JakeBullet Thu 08-Nov-12 19:51:01

No he does not have the right to do this. He is ducking his responsibilities...I claim tax credits as a single parent but my exH still gives me maintainqnce as well.

Peterpan101 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:54:33

Others have already said their thing ref the money.

Ref the depression: as long as you are honest and you can justify that it is in your past it'll have absolutely no effect on the present.

dipndunk Thu 08-Nov-12 21:19:21

you claim tax credits as a single parent with main responsibility for children and he pays you maintenance too. It is laughable how he is threatening you with getting full custody of kids, it would not happen. Please can I ask, what has depression got to do with it? You mean he will use it against you to get more access? depression does not have to be in the "past"..

Nurse30emma Fri 09-Nov-12 16:26:39

yeah i meant he was threatening to use it against me.

mamas12 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:45:00

he@s a dick trying it on and you will be in a much stronger position after going to CAB and getting the facts.

Also why is he getting every weekend? When do you get weekend time to enjoy with the dcs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now