play therapy - a good idea?

(6 Posts)
NicknameTaken Wed 26-Sep-12 11:53:23

Left abusive exH more than 3 years ago. DD now 4.5 years. She has quite a lot of contact with ex. Ex can be quite manipulative and aggressive and tends to bad-mouth me. DD has expressed some distress at various stages, but is not displaying major signs of being troubled.

I heard about an opportunity for DD to do some play therapy. It's pretty non-directive, and she can just play and if she feels like it, raise anything troubling her. Should I go for it? I don't think it is likely to do any harm. It would strain my budget, but if I thought it helped her, I'd be willing to pay.

cestlavielife Wed 26-Sep-12 12:43:27

i think it would be worthwhile if not too onerous money wise.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 26-Sep-12 12:45:16

I would. I have seen some very good work come out of play therapy.

deemented Wed 26-Sep-12 12:46:06

YES!

I managed to find a play therapist for my son after his daddy died and it did him the world of good. Was expensieve though!

crackcrackcrak Wed 26-Sep-12 22:30:49

If you think she needs something go for it. I am considering some therapy for dd if things disintegrate more with exp - I will consider same - key is know how it goes?

NicknameTaken Thu 27-Sep-12 10:39:35

Thanks for that! I'm going to have a phone conversation with the woman who does it and see how I like her. I'd prefer to choose someone who was recommended to me, but frankly, I don't know of any other practitioners in this area, and I've looked.

It's £35 an hour, which is a strain, but doable if she lets me pay in installments. Compared to £155 per hour for my solicitor, it seems almost minor...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now