Im On housing benefit- how many nights can my new partner sleep over?

(11 Posts)
poopeeplops Mon 04-Jul-11 19:16:37

Hey, I have a new boyfriend and we been seeing each other for three months, he doesn't contribute anything to my place but I'm concerned how many nights he can stay over?? Does anyone know any details on this?

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 07:11:37

I remember reading somewhere that 2 nights was OK, but double check, because I'm not sure of the source. Suppose you can't just go and ask them?

GoldenGreen Tue 05-Jul-11 07:18:38

There is no rule on this. They only want to know he is definitely not living there, so be careful about having any of his stuff permanently in the house. If your bills and bank accounts are completely separate etc legally you should be fine with as many nights as you like unless you have any neighbours who might report seeing his car there every day. Some people are vindictive like that, sadly.

yoshiLunk Tue 05-Jul-11 09:20:01

GG is right, - no rule exactly. You have an obligation to inform them if there is a change in circumstances i.e. if someone moves in or out. If someone were to report that you had someone staying there and that you were a 'couple' they would follow this up with an investigation, - so be prepared to prove that he is not living with you and your finances are separate, that is he is paying bills for his own residence and you for yours.

sjsd Tue 05-Jul-11 13:35:57

i was interviewed by both housing benefit and income support due to a report that i was claiming benefits fraduently, (thanks ex MIL)

both investigators told me pretty much the same that there are no set rules (i mentioned the 3/4nights a week rule i had heard about) but if it can be proven that he his contributing financially or clothes and other bits are at yours you could be classed as living together,

i did provide proof that my partner had his own place

i was advised to judge the situation myself as to when we could be classed as living together

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 16:51:17

Thanks, this is really useful info!

colditz Tue 05-Jul-11 16:54:46

What they will mainly be concerned about is that he has a tracable address of his own - ie not his mother's, which is a dead give away because mothers will lie for their children.

MilaV Tue 05-Jul-11 17:15:58

OK sorry - maybe I should open a new thread, but do you know how many days can a visit stay over without having to tell them?

MrsVidic Tue 05-Jul-11 17:19:35

p to 3 nights as if he stays over 3 nights he can get rights for tennancy I believe- thats the rule in the supported accomodation where I work anyway

mogs0 Wed 06-Jul-11 22:42:58

My friend was recently investigated after her boyfriend's ex wrote to DWP telling them they were living together (which they weren't). The woman who interviewed her told her they couldn't spend any nights together and gave her a really hard time about it.

PinkCarBlueCar Wed 06-Jul-11 22:53:11

as mogs says, and as someone on another thread said, technically neither of you can spend any nights together, or you should at least tell DWP & HB every time you do. They'll really thank you for that level of constant information...

That said, it is more about balance of probabilities on a range of indicators, rather than the blunt instrument of who sleeps where how often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now