40+ Lone parents

(769 Posts)

I'm 49 and a lone parent (13yo and 20yo) am I in the minority on Mumsnet? It appears alot of the LP's here are a lot younger!

<feels ancient>

angelpinkcar Sun 06-Apr-14 09:38:24

I am 45, lp of DS 6yrs and DD 10yrs been separated for 18 months and its been a battlefield. Ex FW has OW. Posted on here ages ago whether he was having an affair and amazingly after I called it day on the marriage she came out of the woodwork about 3 months later, I found out from joint bank statements for bills for swanky v expensive hotels that I had been taken to(no imagination have they!!!) So year on from that I still feel like I haven't really moved on although I have accomplished a lot. I know its not the be all but I have no partner and haven't been out on a proper date for a long time. So any tips on survival, how to meet people, money and time saving tips would be grateful as feel like I have no energy left for me, feel guilty about wanting lots of things for me. I would just love to go off somewhere for a week and chill out but would feel awful about leaving DC's behind and actually putting me first for a change. x

changeforthebetter Sun 06-Apr-14 09:45:53

46 (feel about 86) with DDs 8 and 6 brew

skat73 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:24:17

Hello can I join too. I have two Dd 6 and 1. Feel ancient most of the time and can't imagine ever having a partner again. Be nice to talk to those of a similar age x

skat73 Sun 06-Apr-14 12:24:57

Oh and I'm 41!

Squeegle Sun 06-Apr-14 16:59:24

I think there are a lot of us! I'm 48 (eeeeek!) DD12 and DS 10. I split up with alcoholic and difficult ex about 2 years ago, we sold the house and I moved with the DCs last November. I am so glad- but also so tired! I do find it hard doing everything, and unfortunately I am not gifted at DIY. It's a bit pathetic, but I have somehow managed to avoid mowing a lawn throughout my whole life. It's time to learn!

Donki Tue 08-Apr-14 15:02:07

I am 52. I have an 11 year old DS with Aspergers. I probably don't belong here quite yet.

STBXH is looking for somewhere to move out to and is having an affair with a much younger colleague.

I still can't believe what is happening.

Butterfly09 Mon 14-Apr-14 15:37:54

I was wondering the same 41 with 3 kids 4 and half, 2 and half and an 8 month old baby, OMG!!!!

rainbowfeet Wed 16-Apr-14 08:03:59

confusedconfused 40 in a couple of weeks!!confusedconfused

Can I join you then?

dd11 & ds2

Fat, 40 & single.. Life's a bitch!! angry

CagneynotLacey Wed 23-Apr-14 20:24:00

No posts for a while but such a good idea that I'm posting anyway. I'm 41 & one DC who is 3. Most mums of my age - single or otherwise - have much older children. I often feel about 100! It is great to know there are a few older mums with little children out there smile

CagneynotLacey Wed 23-Apr-14 20:26:00

By the way, rainbow, your comment made me laugh - fat, 40, single - life's a bitch....love it! grin

Mum4Fergus Wed 23-Apr-14 20:38:36

Can I join you please?45 with DS who is 4...his Dad left us 2 weeks ago.

smileyforest Wed 23-Apr-14 22:01:35

53....4 kids...29,30....nearly 16 and nearly 18!! ....lonely and hard work at times but better than being in a miserable marriage! smile

BeCool Thu 24-Apr-14 14:43:07

Signing in.

47 with 2 DD's - 6 & nearly 3.

I'm mostly knackered.

IamRechargingthankYou Fri 25-Apr-14 22:00:24

Waving to everyone - 51 here, I've always been on my own with ds12. I used to be knackered (and stressed) all the time - but now I don't try and do it all, I'm not so tired. It's definitely more boring and lonely but it's sustainable now.

AdeleNazeem Sat 26-Apr-14 00:26:16

mid 40s, 19 year old DD just away to uni. Bit of a shock confused but dead proud of her cos I did it all by myself since she was a few weeks old

jellycake Sun 27-Apr-14 13:21:46

42, DS 14 nearly 15 and been LP for 9 years come May Bank holiday smile feel like an old hand but things are changing due to DS growing up and pulling away. Miss my little boy...

MiniBirdYay Sun 27-Apr-14 22:05:44

44 with two beautiful DD 8 and 6. DH left six months ago in the middle of building works, while my father was in intensive care and a week before DD1 birthday. Just coming out of shock now I think. I work full time and, so, after the kids in bed, have been slowly doing the 2nd fix carpentry, flooring, tiling and decorating. Dad is on the mend now too. Exhausted but very proud. Going to take a bath in my new bathroom now!

MargotThreadbetter Mon 28-Apr-14 23:45:58

Well there are loads of us!
Anyone in Essex/E.London with young kids?
A meet up might be nice!

BeesHaveNoxiousKnees Fri 02-May-14 04:26:31

Just saw this ... jumping in, late as usual.
54 very soon, DD of 13. We've been on our own since she was 4. Serial cheating EH does pay maintenance (and wants a Noddy badge for doing so) but has never been involved in her upbringing - even when we were married. Emigrated when DD was 7. Knew no-one in our new town, bar an old school friend 2 hours' drive away, and an ex-work mate, both of whom have never married or have children but who've been there for us. Was horrible horrible horrible the first few years, mainly because I really didn't want to be here (long story). But - we've muddled along, and now just moved house and I'm feeling happier than I have in a long time. In the throes of starting a new biz - v scary but v exciting too.

Hard as it's been, I don't, for one second, regret booting that fucker the EH.

And it's nice to see I'm not the only lone old bat trailing a younger-than-expected precious... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now