Just got back from the Paralympics!

(34 Posts)
ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 17:54:04

Can I just say... Wow! Fantastic day, fantastic venue. Saw David Weir get his medal, the crowd were amazing, the athletes were incredible. We saw everything... Didn't know where to look half the time. Saw discus, shot put, long jump, wheelchair racing, running (including a relay).

Even joined in with the Mexican wave! grin

TunaPastaBake Wed 05-Sep-12 18:28:49

We went yesterday - fab isn't it !

torch

ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 19:30:57

Yup... Shame it can't go on for longer! What will we all do when it finishes?!

CelticOlympian Wed 05-Sep-12 19:35:27

We're going tomorrow! Can't wait!

TeamGBsometimes Wed 05-Sep-12 20:00:59

I'm going tomorrow too, Celtic. Are you going in the evening also?

ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 20:02:17

celtic it was brilliant. Don't forget the sun block (it was very hot and sunny today and the stadium offers very little shade). And try not to spend too much money in the 2012 megastore... My DS wanted everything!

ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 20:02:53

Ah yes.. Well of you're evening you can forget the sunblock! smile

Kbear Wed 05-Sep-12 20:04:17

We went Saturday and it was an amazing experience! What will we do when it's all over?

I'm so jealous ! I tried for tickets and couldn't get any at all , for either the Olympics or Paralympics .
It all looks fantastic .
Bring on London again in 2020 ! torch

PandaNot Wed 05-Sep-12 20:08:04

My DH is refereeing there all week, he keeps sending me messages saying how wonderful it is and what sports hes watching in between sessions, so jealous envy

minsmum Wed 05-Sep-12 20:08:39

We have been lots and still have tickets for friday and saturday night.

CelticOlympian Wed 05-Sep-12 20:18:50

TeamGB we're going to the morning session of the athletics. We're going on Saturday too, to the wheelchair rugby. I'msooo excited!

Thanks for tips Arthur. How long did it take you to get into the park? Was there a lot of faffage?

Kbear Wed 05-Sep-12 20:21:04

No faffage when I went on Saturday - arrived at about 8.40am, straight into security, no queue, straight into the park.

minsmum Wed 05-Sep-12 20:28:42

Celtic so jealous of the rugby tickets.

ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 20:39:11

The tube was mentally busy but was running really effectively (virtually every minute) so when we couldn't get on the first 5 it was no biggy IYSWIM. The walk from Stratford to the park was fine, just followed the crowds but it was all really quick and efficient.

The soldiers in security were friendly and fast. My DH got frisked because he set the beepers off and the lady in front of me had her bag searched and a bottle of water confiscated. But it was very speedy and not frustrating at all.

The volunteers were very cheerful and helpful. The food stalls are around the perimeter of the stadium and they had Asian, Indian, Fish and Chips, Pizza, Waffles and Ice Cream, Coffee and Cake. In the park itself they had McDonalds. All meal combos are £8ish. Once you leave the stadium section you cannot be readmitted. If you're not athletics you'll only be able to get into the park bit. It's was fab! Enjoy!

AllOverIt Wed 05-Sep-12 20:40:12

We went Sunday - it was fab!

ArthurShappey Wed 05-Sep-12 20:41:18

There will be an absolutely enormous queue outside the megastore but it moves very fast, there's almost no standing just a slow walk in zig zag fashion until you get admitted.

CelticOlympian Wed 05-Sep-12 20:45:19

mins sounds like the rugby has been really popular. I got our tickets through the ballot months and months ago. We'vegot theday pass ones but I fear if we leave the rugby stadium we'll not get back in!

CelticOlympian Wed 05-Sep-12 20:45:55

Thank you Arthur that's very helpful!

TunaPastaBake Wed 05-Sep-12 21:05:21

Found the access to the park very quick and swift. We had to empty our water bottles on searching but not a problem filled up at water fountains.
Had breakfast at MacDonalds - massive queues but moved really quickly !
Took packed lunch then had something to eat in the Westfield Centre before we came home.
Went on Jubliee line - stayed on until Stratford didn't bother getting off at West Ham - that is about a 25 min walk according to DH.
Lots of volunteers , police and army about and all very helpful.

TunaPastaBake Wed 05-Sep-12 21:07:59

Hard to believe that will probably never have that opportunity again to go to such a global event , unless I win the lottery and go to Rio ! grin

hazeyjane Wed 05-Sep-12 22:33:59

Is that right about not being able to go back into the stadium if you have left?? Gosh, I was hoping we could go in for a bit, have a break and come back...will have to have a rethink!

Kbear Wed 05-Sep-12 22:57:41

no, you can't leave the stadium area - you can come out of the stands and use toilets and get food but not leave the outer perimeter and go back into the Olympic Park

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Wed 05-Sep-12 22:59:58

You can't leave the stadium, but the stadium is a big area. It has food stalls, toilets, etc. You can take a break out there and come back.

Honestly, the park is huge, with a three hour session if you left the stadium and went for a wander, you would likely miss a massive chunk of your session getting to somewhere you wanted to be, seeing it and heading back.

TunaPastaBake Thu 06-Sep-12 09:50:54

I was surprised how big the Olympic Park was ! It was approx a 30 min walk from Stadium to Velodrome ( DH desperate to take pictures of it from all sides ! )

Stay in the stadium area - well no choice really grin

Once you are in stadium and seated and session starts - very little queues for food and no queues for toilets !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now