AIBU to think that is you go to see events at the Paralympics you dont't

(13 Posts)
bisjaralympics Mon 03-Sep-12 14:30:25

Manic that happened to us at the wheelchair basketball and it was the same person going in and out (plus occasional others).

Cocoa we had people come and sit next to us, spreading all their possessions over us (no sick thank heavens). Then the real seat people appeared and the interlopers got all affronted at having to move. I was surprised they were allowed to stand behind us and watch when I assume their actual seats were up the second tier.

cocoaGOLDchannel Mon 03-Sep-12 13:31:44

D) Or come and stand in the front row of your velodrome when your seats are behind ( and probably have a better view), squeeze up the row and allow your baby to vomit on the floor and watch the person in front of you (me) clear it up to prevent their toddler exploring the milky mess.

Raging about it now, but in the excitement of yesterday didn't want to make a fuss.

manicinsomniac Mon 03-Sep-12 12:39:08

YANBU

And also

C) You don't continually go in and out of the stadium for a drink/break/food/toilet/breath of air or any of the other million and one reasons that seemed to keep people clogging up the aisle and blocking our view for the entire session. Get in, sit down and watch for goodness sake! Having to leave once, maybe. But 4-5 times in 4 hours. Grrrr.

hellsbells76 Sun 02-Sep-12 22:31:16

How horrible (family B especially).

We were at the athletics on Friday and there was a gorgeousmoment when the Danish guy was receiving his gold medal for the shot putt and we realised there was a massive Danish contingent standing behind us all waving their flag and singing their national anthem at the top of their voices. Everyone around us was smiling at them and cheered them too. It was bloody <i>lovely</i> <wells up again>

PurpleAndPoppyWearer Sun 02-Sep-12 22:26:02

They sound awful.

re. Family A if I'd been stewarding there and you'd told me, I'd have "suggested better seats" to them. I might have been in the vicinity. <whistles innocently, look at my nn>

CMOTDibbler Sun 02-Sep-12 21:59:55

We were at the dressage today, and it was totally amazing.

This morning though, we were sat in front of a family where the mum spent at least half an hour gossiping on her mobile, the kids were fighting (and not being stopped), and dad was chatting at full volume. Couldn't believe how disrespectful they were at an event that calls for silence during competition.

Eve, I'd be graded at 4, and thats due to a riding accident too.

Eve Sun 02-Sep-12 21:32:20

Family b were at dressage today, amazing riders and heart breaking how many had their disability caused by riding accidents. At least 1/2 the riders in session we saw were riding injuries though.... I've had some bad falls but thankfully so serious injuries but my confidence was badly knocked and I know what guts it's takes to get back on.

....and you won't be surprised if I say family b looked like they were more familiar with a plate of chips than an exercise regime.

Meglet Sun 02-Sep-12 20:55:15

yanbu.

esterday I was in the queue at wheelchair basketball ahead of a right mardy couple who just frickin' moaned non-stop for 20 mins about the speed of the queue. 2 mins after they finally huffed off and walked away to try their luck at something else in the park they let loads of us in grin.

ItsaTIARA Sun 02-Sep-12 20:50:27

We sat in front of an extremely keen Chinese family at the Olympics supporting their team at a volume and earsplitting pitch that frankly made me wish I'd had earplugs. But it would be madness to complain, and it really added to the atmosphere.

bisjaralympics Sun 02-Sep-12 20:10:15

Can't believe Family B behaviour in particular. I assume that was the at the Equestrian event? We spent the weekend at a hotel in London as we had tickets for several events.

We were chatting with a couple at breakfast this morning who said how they had been moved to tears at the Equestrian events because of just how disabled some of the competitors were and how hard their lives are. They told us of one competitor who was a quadriplegic in her 20s who was living in a nursing home with retired people. Heartbreaking.

If I'd heard Family B I would have reported them to the stewards and hopefully they would have been removed.

Northernlurkerisonholiday Sun 02-Sep-12 18:51:24

I think I would have been tempted to report Family B to the stewards. That sort of prjudice should not be tolerated. Racist comments wouldn't be - why should disablist be any different?

YANBU at all! What a shame tickets were wasted on that family.

Eve Sun 02-Sep-12 17:05:06

A). Sit and continually tut and moan at the noise the supporters of various people make!!

B). Make fun of the disabled competitors.

Family A was yesterday in the excel and as a number of matches were on at the same time, supporters from a country for their competitors moved round to sit in the general area behind their competitor. It did get loud at times, but for pete's sake get up and move instead of moaning and telling the Koreans and then Dutch to be quiet!

Family B were at Greenwich today , mum, dad and 2 teenage girls, smirked, giggled and made snide comments about every single competitor. I got up and moved as did others around them, why bother going?

..ps... Wasn't brave enough to go near AIBU board..... But I don't think I am!

In spite of the above, it was a fantastic weekend, passionate competition, volunteers amazing, everything was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now