Random Oscar Pistorius Question

(153 Posts)
YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 31-Aug-12 13:59:39

I have a question about Oscar Pistorius I am hoping someone can answer. All my Google search terms just return general articles and I am going a bit Paralympics crazy with all my background questions about the events, classifications and athletes so I am desperate to know!

He competes as T44 (single amputee) even though he is classified T43 (double amputee). Is this because the single amputee category is faster and more competitive?

Also, he had a big legal battle to compete in the Olympics over whether his carbon fibre legs gave him an advantage. Was there ever any similar controversy over him competing as T44?

pvalemont47 Tue 09-Jul-13 11:53:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

onlymeee Fri 22-Feb-13 01:41:16

Really interesting to look back on these comments now.

peeriebear Wed 05-Sep-12 13:00:17

The blades give them slow starts, are shite in wet conditions and are not good on the bends. However they actually get faster as the race goes on because of the returning tension in the springs, compared to the tiring leg muscles of the 'normal' runner. No build up of lactic acid in the lower legs.

Nancy66 Wed 05-Sep-12 12:44:19

I also read that (in comparison to an able bodied runner) it is virtually impossible for a blade runner to get a good sprint start from the blocks - which puts Pisotrorius at a distinct disadvantage

msrisotto Wed 05-Sep-12 12:31:38

Hmm, they might not get ankle injuries but they get blisters and bruises from where the prosthetic joins flesh so the bit about them being able to train for longer doesn't hold water.

SoupDragon Wed 05-Sep-12 11:06:55

I think it is virtually impossible to prove or disprove whether there is an advantage or disadvantage as there is no way of knowing what an athlete would be like with the alternative.

Part of me thinks that if they were such an advantage, running shoes for able bodied athletes would incorporate the technology/design somehow. No idea if this is possible of course smile

peeriebear Wed 05-Sep-12 11:03:09

But if blades are an advantage he would have won or at least been placed, surely? He's at the peak of his fitness and works bloody hard. They have disadvantages against legs and advantages. I guess the IOC decided that the two balanced out.

NurseRatched Tue 04-Sep-12 19:07:18

Ben Rushgrove: Oscar Pistorius shouldn't have run in the Olympics - blades are an advantage. > Ben Rushgrove is a sprinter who has cerebral palsy and competes in T36 classification disability events. He is competing in the 100m and 200m in London

ceebeegeebies Tue 04-Sep-12 18:03:44

Oh no it would take more than this to put me off him wink

SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-12 17:13:40

It would be the only present grin apart from a season ticket to park at A&E

RuleBritannia Tue 04-Sep-12 17:08:59

SoupDragon I'm not sure that that's what I saw but, at that price, it's a Christmas present I will not be buying.

floatingquoter Tue 04-Sep-12 16:02:21

Oscar has raised a real question. I dont think there is an answer

SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-12 14:18:06
SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-12 14:17:09

There were some entertainers with those on when they interviewed the Irish team before they went in during the opening ceremony smile

Another one with boys who want some!

peeriebear Tue 04-Sep-12 13:27:29

They are Powerisers or pogo stilts Rule, they are like having individual pogo sticks on your feet and not quite the same though they do look great fun (DH wants some) smile

RuleBritannia Tue 04-Sep-12 12:59:56

Nancy66

It is possible to have those blade things attached to your feet or lower legs. I don't know how it works but I've seen a few in the streets round here. I know that the walkers (jumpers) are not amputees because they are far too tall (6-7 feet in the blades).

And were some not dancing around during the torch relays?

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Sep-12 12:51:01
Nancy66 Tue 04-Sep-12 12:43:48

Even those who strongly disagree with his comments have said how out of character it is for him and what a brilliant sportsman he has always been.

I think he was stunned to have lost and said what he did in the heat of the moment. It's a shame but I hope people remember that nobody has done more to not only raise the profile of disabled sport but to make it cool.

My 7 year old son and all his mates are all desperate for bladerunner legs!

I would be very sad if this comment overshadowed all he's achieved.

peeriebear Tue 04-Sep-12 12:41:53

How does one 'wendy' someone? Very curious!

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Sep-12 12:39:43

Everyone nicked the duvets. I think it was allowed.

SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-12 12:36:09

On another note, apparently he stole his Olympic duvet and took it home with him.

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Sep-12 12:34:50

If that is true, I've really gone off him. grin

peeriebear Tue 04-Sep-12 12:32:32

Banana yogurt is my favourite. It is hard to find. It's a sign. Or something.

SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-12 12:28:04

I think it means he likes banana yoghurt.

TheSmallClanger Tue 04-Sep-12 12:19:56

I think that the T44 category has become more competitive in recent years. When Oscar P first appeared, an American T43 sprinter (can't remember his name) tried to get him removed from T43, as he argued that a double amputee has better balance than a single one.

I was half-expecting a slew of stories from "anonymous athletes" trashing Oscar - "his self-effacing-sweetie act is a millimetre deep, he's really an evil wicked bully who wendys the other athletes, and steals all the best yoghurts at breakfast, leaving everyone with the manky banana ones" - but there have been none. I'm not sure what that means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now