Random Oscar Pistorius Question

(153 Posts)
YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 31-Aug-12 13:59:39

I have a question about Oscar Pistorius I am hoping someone can answer. All my Google search terms just return general articles and I am going a bit Paralympics crazy with all my background questions about the events, classifications and athletes so I am desperate to know!

He competes as T44 (single amputee) even though he is classified T43 (double amputee). Is this because the single amputee category is faster and more competitive?

Also, he had a big legal battle to compete in the Olympics over whether his carbon fibre legs gave him an advantage. Was there ever any similar controversy over him competing as T44?

peeriebear Wed 05-Sep-12 13:00:17

The blades give them slow starts, are shite in wet conditions and are not good on the bends. However they actually get faster as the race goes on because of the returning tension in the springs, compared to the tiring leg muscles of the 'normal' runner. No build up of lactic acid in the lower legs.

onlymeee Fri 22-Feb-13 01:41:16

Really interesting to look back on these comments now.

pvalemont47 Tue 09-Jul-13 11:53:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now