Sports Personality - too much choice

(25 Posts)
happilyconfused Sat 04-Aug-12 23:16:08

Hurray it will not be a poncey footballer primadonna. So the choices will be Wiggo, Jess, Katherine G, Mo , Queen Vic........ who else should be on the list?

happilyconfused Sat 04-Aug-12 23:18:51

crumbs forgot Chris Hoy

Only4theOlympics Sat 04-Aug-12 23:45:05

Do ya think team of the year could just go to team GB as a whole?

DeathMetalMum Sun 05-Aug-12 14:08:40

Me and Df have been discussing this there us too much choice. We will have to wait and how murray does today to see if the list gets any bigger.
Surely Wiggo though winning TDF AND an Olympic gold.

OddBoots Sun 05-Aug-12 14:14:18

If they do have only one winner (if ever there was a year to make an exception it has to be this one) then I am sure the winner will be delighted but feel awkward too, it'll be odd however it goes.

teaandthorazine Sun 05-Aug-12 14:16:50

I expect it'll be Wiggo tbh. I'd love it to be Ennis but I think Wiggo will pip her to the post because of the Tour etc

happilyconfused Sun 05-Aug-12 15:18:53

Ben Ainslie - greatest sailor is now on the list!

LineRunnerSpartanNaked Sun 05-Aug-12 15:52:16

After last year I said I would forever boycott it.

Will see if Nuts manages to find a single female athlete to nominate this year...

Agree with the whole of Team GB being honoured.

Nancy66 Sun 05-Aug-12 15:58:00

Think it has to be Wiggins - because he had the Tour De France on top of Olympic glory

KnickerKnockers Mon 06-Aug-12 05:08:36

Bradley Wiggings without a shadow of doubt. He WON Le Tour (and has a Personality). I am wrapped up in the Olympics too and ALL our Competitorsbut having watched the Tour I am in awe of the Man.

KnickerKnockers Mon 06-Aug-12 05:12:39

I sent that too soon oops I also meant to write some serious bollocks next to Personality. They are all absolutely Amazing but Wiggo for Me would be a no-brainer. wink

beatofthedrum Mon 06-Aug-12 07:57:39

In terms of being an absolutely amazing good sport as well as performing well I would give credit to Louis Smith. Nearly getting the silver at team gymnastics, then nearly getting the gold at pommel horse, and accepting the lower award so graciously in both events, hiding his major disappointment...think he's a fantastic example of good sportsmanship.

rubyrubyruby Mon 06-Aug-12 08:15:12

There is only one winner.

BW.

boohoohooshouldhavewongold Mon 06-Aug-12 08:21:36

With ruby and others above, only one winner, Bradley Wiggins! Not that others arn`t fantastic, but what hes achieved is Amazing.

infin Mon 06-Aug-12 08:24:07

I think Wiggins probably will win but I'd pick either Katherine Grainger or Ben Ainslie....perseverence over all those years, incredible.

infin Mon 06-Aug-12 17:05:29

Oh....dilemma.....Nick Skelton anyone?!!

NellyBluth Mon 06-Aug-12 17:09:38

I agree that Louis Smith has been such an incredibly gracious sportsman, but he'll not get noticed in a year that includes Wiggins and Ennis.

Fireandashes Mon 06-Aug-12 18:00:24

Okay, my long-range forecast for top three:

3rd Andy Murray (for Olympic gold & Wimbledon runner-up)
2nd Jess Ennis (for all-round heptathlon fabulousness)
1st Bradley Wiggins (for Tour & Olympic gold)

I'd love to see the showjumping team get Team of the Year but I reckon they'll be beaten by something more mainstream.

beatofthedrum Mon 06-Aug-12 20:38:42

Yes, I agree Nelly, was just so impressed with him yesterday.

infin Sun 09-Sep-12 13:07:10

Now, having just watched the wheelchair marathon, it has to be...
David Weir! Just incredible!!

ariadneoliver Sun 09-Sep-12 13:42:20

Lots of choice this year so the winner has to have done something extra special so I'd say, Bradley, Mo or Dave Weir are the top contenders.

theliverpoolone Sun 09-Sep-12 15:15:49

Johnny Peacock, or Mo, for me. Do they have an international category? If so, that should be Oscar, although Usain Bolt will get lots of votes too.

Nancy66 Tue 11-Sep-12 10:48:18

Andy Murray must be in with a shot now

manicinsomniac Tue 11-Sep-12 13:13:14

Yeah, Andy Murray for me.

schilke Tue 11-Sep-12 20:47:37

Mo for me.....if I really had to choose. Saw him run at diamond league at crystal palace this year and the whole stadium was roaring on the last lap - everyone seems to love him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now