Any tips for visiting Olympic Park please

(148 Posts)
lorisparkle Sat 28-Jul-12 19:29:25

We are off to visit the park on Tuesday with a 6 year old and 4 year old. I am feeling rather anxious about the whole thing and hoping that there will be some fab MNetters who have already been and can give us some handy tips! We are travelling by car then by tube. Would a buggy be a help or a hindrance, buy or take food, places to visit, etc etc

TIA

Coconutty Sun 05-Aug-12 16:10:56

Also, for ID, do I need to take my passport or will my driving license do, and do the kids need their passports for ID too?

Sorry for all the dopey questions - been a very busy few days.

leosdad Sun 05-Aug-12 16:18:27

not if you have tickets already,

EduStudent Sun 05-Aug-12 16:22:04

ID, I happened to have myassport on me anyway, as well as my driving licence, but I didn't have to show either.

Coconutty Sun 05-Aug-12 16:41:43

Thanks, I have the tickets already and don't fancy taking all our passports with me.

ClaireRacing Sun 05-Aug-12 16:47:54

You don't need ID - tickets are fine by themselves.

CharminglyOdd Sun 05-Aug-12 17:03:00

We just met some people who went last week and they have suggested either taking a small radio or iPad (if you feel like it) for queues as there's only one big screen and when they went it wasn't showing sport, just children playing. They ended up queuing for returns and watching some finals via BBC online.

If you are a BT customer BT Openzone in the park should be free - we are planning to do this with the iPad as we have no DCs so are queuing for returns. Will come back and let you know if it works well!

bloodybuilder Sun 05-Aug-12 17:49:18

Can you get return tickets for events in the park? We've got morning athletics tickets but maybe will queue for other events...

BettySuarez Sun 05-Aug-12 18:03:16

Why do some spectators have big swanky lanyards round their necks? Is this what you get with your tickets?

I want one grin

GreenGoldSilverAndBronzeShadow Sun 05-Aug-12 20:32:47

Definitely no ID needed (was slightly concerned about this myself as we had some tickets from friends in their names, but weren't arriving with them). They haven't got time to check anything other than tickets as people go in.

Coconutty Mon 06-Aug-12 19:03:23

Never checked ID or even names on tickets, getting in was easy and not busy at all (9.15am)

I can't wait!
SIL is there tonight. envy

Would a 20 month old need those headphones kids have a festivals for the hockey?

DilysPrice Mon 06-Aug-12 20:31:06

I saw a baby with headphones on at the basketball, but I'd have thought hockey would be quieter.

Woodlands Mon 06-Aug-12 21:17:09

As an aside there was a baby of maybe 14 months at the shooting (shotgun) with no ear protection. I found it uncomfortable without the ear plugs provided by the stewards, but she didn't seem to flinch at all, and was very good and happy! She was the family member of one of the US shooters, and the family all seemed very NRA, so she's probably used to the noise!

Coconutty Mon 06-Aug-12 21:39:09

There was a newborn (about 3 weeks old) at the athletics today and the noise was unbelievable - slept through the whole thing.

CharminglyOdd Mon 06-Aug-12 22:32:58

Definitely no return tickets. Used the iPad a lot as we were there ages (got there early in hope of return/recycled tickets). Big screen doesn't always show preferred sport but it seems to show highlights. There were whiteboards with the latest scores etc. but the iPad was better for keeping informed.

Biggest tip is probably buy a poncho from the pound shop. You can sit on them if nothing else. Also, of the barriers are closed to the big screen, walk down nearly to eton manor and take the bottom entrance along the river walk to come in the back way. There are some great view of the screen to be had by sitting on the edges of the paths.

CharminglyOdd Mon 06-Aug-12 22:35:04

yellow don't know much about 20 month olds but the music at the hockey is very loud, spectators aren't too noisy. I found the music almost too much but it is only at the beginning and a bit in the interval.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 06-Aug-12 22:37:36

Take your own picnic - the only places where there are real queues are the eateries (my experience on Saturday) Everywhere else was fine, lots of good clean toilets etc.

Taffletics Tue 07-Aug-12 20:48:29

We took sandwiches and loads of snacks. The worst queues are for filling water bottles. We had dinner in Jamie's at Westfield once we left - it was my birthday today after all!

No q's for javelin, plenty of space on way out at 7.40am, busier on way back at 7pm.

No ID needed. Be warned its hard to see any action after you've left the event - Park Live was rammed and massive q's all afternoon. Its the only thing I think they could have done better - more screens around the park.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the volunteers all of whom were welcoming, great with the children and really genuinely helpful.

Top places for children we visited were the Schools Garden by EDF where they had face painting, an obstacle course and they could write inspirational messages for the athletes, and the bandstand where the DC cuddled and had photos with Wenlock, and we saw some great bands and dance acts, the DC had loads of space to run, play and do some dodgy gym moves hmm

OLimpPickMeddles Wed 08-Aug-12 21:51:14

We went to the park yesterday - transport was really straightforward, no queues and plenty of really chatty and friendly gamesmakers to point us in the right direction. Tube exits opened (no need to queue and present tickets). security was easy; plenty of military personnel manning the airport scanners and body checks. Plenty of toilets in the park, and even though there were loads of people, it never felt too crowded.

I would echo other posters' views about parklive - the big screen is mounted in the middle of the river Lea, and people were absolutely crammed into the banks on ether side. Some of the wild flower planting has been squashed by people sitting on it, just to get a view of the screen. There could easily have been another couple of screens there. The atmosphere however was fantastic, and I think my highlight of the day was seeing Chris Hoy win his 6th and final olympic gold - it gave me goosebumps to hear the cheers coming out of the velodrome behind me.

plenty of places to eat, although many had run out of food (or at least 30 minute delays for top ups) by 6pm, so take your own, or buy sandwiches from the deli shops on site earlier in the day.

dandy05 Mon 03-Sep-12 19:44:18

We have tickets for athletics paralympics tomorrow at 7pm. How early in the afternoon will we be allowed in the park, as my kids wanted to spend sometime running around?

unclekevin Mon 03-Sep-12 20:01:44

dandy05 You can enter the park what ever time you want, there is no time limit to when you can enter the park.

dandy05 Mon 03-Sep-12 20:06:11

Thank you very much unclekevin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now