Abergavenny!

(22 Posts)
TomDaleysTrunks Wed 03-Oct-12 18:13:05

Help! I'm moving to Govilon, near Abergaveny soon and I don't really know anyone in the area. I have a 19 month DD.

Where are the best toddler groups / parks / swimming lesson etc? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!
Thanks

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 18:15:41

Hello, I live on the other side of Abergavenny to you. It is a good place to raise a small child. There are lots of baby groups which are very friendly. Start with the one in Holy Trinity church on a tuesday morning. That is where I made a few friends after having a baby.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 18:16:43

parks in Wales are not as good as those elsewhere imo, but the mountains make up for it smile

TomDaleysTrunks Wed 03-Oct-12 18:20:40

Thanks humphrey.

It's a big old move as we live in London. I am excited but apprehensive. I will make my way to that toddler group.

Any other recommendations? My friends in Cardiff also commented that parks in Wales do not compare to those elsewhere - strange!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 18:29:17

Lots of people move here from London. Honestly, I LOVE living here. The countryside is so beautiful and there are lots of really excellent restaurants.

As far as swimming lessons go there is much less choice so this makes it easier! The leisure centre in Abergavenny offers children's lessons, as well as holiday activities even for little ones. I bet there will be a baby group in Govilon as well, so you can maybe walk there.

Are you moving soon?

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 18:34:29

There is a rather nice (relatively speaking) soft play place called Kingdom Come. There will no doubt be many other baby groups, I used to go to a different one every day, but I have rather lost touch now the dc are not that age any more.

TomDaleysTrunks Wed 03-Oct-12 20:10:19

Thanks, we are moving at the beginning of December.
Those are great tips. There is a playgroup in Govilon but it's a welsh one. I don't speak welsh so I don't know if I will be welcome. grin

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 20:18:48

don't worry, it will be aimed at getting little ones to say the odd word in welsh and do some welsh songs. I spoke no welsh but loved the group I went to. Very welcoming and friendly.

TomDaleysTrunks Wed 03-Oct-12 20:21:48

Oh phew! I've dug out DDs welsh words book so I can practice.

Do you reckon you are the only other MNer who lives in Aberavenny?!

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 20:24:56

I know there are a few around here - someone mentioned Raglan Garden Centre on a thread once. That is a good place to eat with a toddler - it has fish and a playground and you don't have to wait for your food.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 03-Oct-12 20:25:34

pm me when you move and we can have a coffee smile

TomDaleysTrunks Wed 03-Oct-12 20:29:46

Oh that sounds great, thanks. Nearly bought a house in Raglan.
Moving last week of Nov / first week of December. Will definitely PM you, thank you for all your help - I owe you a cake!

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 09-Oct-12 08:31:46

Can anyone recommend a removal company? The ones in London are quoting £1500 shock

YouOldSlag Tue 09-Oct-12 14:25:53

Bailey Park is great with built in trampolines at ground level. I don't know why people say parks in Wales aren't as good as in England! Maybe parks in bigger towns are better than the parks in smaller towns?

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 09-Oct-12 19:59:26

That's probably right youoldslag.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 09-Oct-12 20:05:22

because most of them are rubbish! Bailey Park is ok, it has just been done but I saw loads of better ones everywhere I went in Derbyshire.

But still, it doesn't matter as everything else here is so brilliant grin

Have no idea about removal companies, sorry

TomDaleysTrunks Wed 10-Oct-12 00:20:06

grin humphrey.

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 08:13:06

Abergavenny is a small town, so it won't have city league type parks. Humphrey- I was going to get a right nark on and tell you to go to bloody Derbyshire then, but you redeemed yourself in yourself in your second sentence. smile

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 08:22:01

Still, if the parks are no good, you are at the gateway of the Brecon Beacons National Park, also a short drive away from Hay on Wye, or the Cantref pony trekking/activity centre, or about 50 mins drive from Cardiff or Bristol, or the 150 acre Pontypool Park with ski slope.....

HumphreyCobbler Wed 10-Oct-12 08:23:38

as I say always I think this is the best place to live! I hardly think I am being that disloyal by saying that monmouthshire never spend any money on children's playgrounds grin

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 09:16:35

Sorry, I thought you were being anti Wales, but you're clearly not. smile. I agree they could spend more money on parks.

There is so much literature about healthy eating in schools that it's become almost overkill and I think if they spent more money on parks there would be good results as kids would just exercise until they are worn out! I wish the councils would sort it out and see the logic.

TomDaleysTrunks Tue 16-Oct-12 17:15:49

Glad to hear you think it's the best place to live grin. That is a relief to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now