Outstanding primary schools around Christchurch - are there any?

(7 Posts)
whereishome Mon 27-Aug-12 22:09:04

Hi everyone,

I know, I know - Ofsted is not everything and I shouldn't read too much into the reports. But when you have nothing else to go on, this is a good start.

We are making a rapid move to the Christchurch area (next month) and I have spent hours tonight trawling through schools and their websites. The ofsted reports are really disappointing : (

Does anyone know of any outstanding primary schools around the Christchurch/New Milton/Milford area? Or if not, more towards Bournemouth although I really love the more Eastern side ; )))) We did drive more towards Ringwood but didn't like it as much - would love to be nearer the sea : )))))

Anyone able to save me some time trawling through the web??

Thank you!!

Grockle Mon 27-Aug-12 22:23:07

How old are DC? Are you looking for a church school?

Stourfield Infants (in Southbourne) is graded Outstanding & the juniors is good. Christchurch Infants is good, I think. I wouldn't go on Ofsted reports though (I'm a teacher). Look at the websites & visit the schools, if you can - that's the best way to get a feel for a school. Or call and speak to the Head. Lots of schools in the area are vastly oversubscribed.

Also, try asking on netmums.

whereishome Mon 27-Aug-12 22:30:17

Thanks for your quick reply Grockle. I do agree with you, I am also a teacher. But my ds is very academic and has been really frustrated at the last schools he has attended. A couple of the Ofsted reports I was reading tonight (including one in Christchurch) assessed academic learning at 3 which set the alarm bells going.

Dc will be going into years 1 and 3. I am prepared to home school and park up outside as will almost certainly be necessary to get a place in such a lovely area. I am not so worried about church schools but would prefer to avoid Catholic schools.

Again, thank you!! Not sure where Southbourne is - off to google : ))

Grockle Tue 28-Aug-12 09:00:02

Southbourne is between Bournemouth & Christchurch (& on the sea). Several of the schools we looked at we're rated good/ outstanding but all of them were criticized for not challenging more able pupils. I'm happy with our choice so far but I know DS has been bored at school this last year. Hopefully Y2 will be better!

Hope you find somewhere you like.

whereishome Tue 28-Aug-12 09:48:26

Thanks Grockle. Oh dear, that is my problem. Ds started off in a very academic private school when we were abroad and is now very much ahead. He was at the top of this school and was going into the year above. For example, his maths has been assessed as 3 years ahead. He is not wanting to go back to school as he says his learning just goes around and around. Surely there are some really stretching schools around here? Was looking at Mudeford Quay and Bransgore Primary last night. Very confused confused

Grockle Tue 28-Aug-12 15:48:37

I don't know tbh. Bransgore has a good reputation & i know families who go there so hopefully that'll be an option for you.

Jackomad Sun 16-Jun-13 22:10:43

Hi there
Was just wondering how you got on?
I am looking to move to the area. I am on my own, with 3 children, 11,9 and 5. I am terrified!!!!
Don't know where to start with schools, so any advice would be very gratefully received.
Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now