Moving to Bournemouth from London

(11 Posts)
Haroon Wed 08-May-13 19:27:26

Hi there

Thanks everyone.

Move was done in November.

living near west parley area at the moment.

looking for some new friends now smile

Hardly know anyone local here lol

Would like to thank everyone for their input it was very helpful.

Kind regards
Haroon

dluckham Mon 15-Oct-12 16:35:19

Best places to live are
westbourne, queens park, talbot woods, branksome chine

£600 - you will def get something for that. I would look on rightmove

I moved here 5 years ago and its the best thing I ever did lifestyle wise. There are loads and loads of insurance and financial industry businesses in Bournemouth to get into so you should be ok finding a job. I work in Marketing and have done really well out of it. You have liverpool victoria, Rias, Castle cover, lloyds, Barclays...I could go on really :-)

I dont have a child so dont really know much bout that side, good luck

Haroon Sat 01-Sep-12 16:54:18

I am still looking for apartments.

its hard work trying to compete with Local People hunting for properties if you live in London.

Plus agents are not helpful as soon as you tell them I will be trading STOCKS and forex they think you are just telling them gobbledygook.

lets see what this week holds... I haven not given up YET smile

hopefully will find some nice agent or landlord who understands that trading stocks and forex is as good as having a job if not better.

PurplePidjin Thu 23-Aug-12 14:10:57

Good luck! It's a good time to recce, actually, the traffic will be at it's absolute worst due to the bank holiday grin

Haroon Thu 23-Aug-12 14:00:12

Hi there. Just to update everyone I have 2 viewings arranged smile.

I am going to be driving down to Bournemouth tomorrow and hopefully will put down a deposit and then the move begins in about 45 days.

One property is in south borne area and another one is in charminster (I want to make sure that this is not in the rough side).

Once all this done smile we will need some new friends lol

will keep I all posted how things evolve.

hopefully will be smooth sailing from here on ...

keep comments coming smile

DZH Wed 22-Aug-12 09:47:12

<Agrees with Pidgin>

Driving to the sea doesnt work on sunny days except in Winter cos of parking.

Lots of temp/seasonal work and care home work. Lots of people take in students from language schools too to boost income.

I would avoid Kinson,Ensbury Park, Charminster. I used to teach there and you would need to be VERY careful which street you ended up with. Avoid Boscombe, set a line at Pokesdown station and don`t look any further in towards Bournemouth.

Southbourne has lots of young families and lots of flats or house conversions.

PurplePidjin Wed 22-Aug-12 00:17:18

Southbourne/Pokesdown is somewhere I would consider if I were in a position to move. Or really anywhere between there and Christchurch. Up towards Ringwood is also nice but I'm not sure what you'd get for your budget. Not Somerford, not the Bournemouth side of Boscombe. Ensbury Park, Kinson and Charminster all have reasonable reputations afaik.

Oh, and 20 minutes walk of the sea is more realistic round here grin

Haroon Tue 21-Aug-12 20:25:04

many thanks. @PurplePidjin & DZH

Poole is fine with us. Also we drive so train commute is not a problem.

regarding school system I think she is just one week old at the moment so its not an immediate worry. we might buy a property in next 3 years or so (provided prices come down to some realistic values)

regarding job I am not picky. If needed be I am willing to clean tables and work even in Mc donalds if needed to be smile (as a trader I have no Ego and never run away from work lol)

Its just a backup plan I am confident i will be able to sustain my self and family from trading but I like having Plan B,C and D

@DZH not expecting a sea view. We will be happy if we are about 15 to 20 minutes drive to sea.

is southbourne a good area ? We are looking for a residential area and not too close to all the hulabaloo smile night clubs, markets and etc ...

many thanks for suggestions.

if anyone else has anything to add please feel free.

DZH Tue 21-Aug-12 20:13:43

There are some big financial services people in the area, but they have been laying off rather than hiring sad

Your rent figure sounds ok but dont expect a seaview !!!!!

Southbourne might have stuff in your range and has a station at Pokesdown and the schools are good

PurplePidjin Tue 21-Aug-12 19:57:25

From your professional experience, it sounds like you should be looking for jobs over the Poole (West) side of Bournemouth - unfortunately, I'm the other side. Bournemouth and Poole are a unitary authority mostly separate from Dorset, you'll want to bear this in mind as the school systems differ - Bournrmouth and Poole have the two tier Grammar school system. Some areas, such as Ferndown, have Lower, Middle (y3-8 i think) and Upper schools.

I would look on sites like rightmove for properties that are in budget, then contact the agents handling any property you like the look of. Bear in mind I live 25 miles from Poole, it takes 30 or so minutes on the train. However, a large area of both Bournemouth and Poole aren't a reasonable distance of the station - very different to London! Also, traffic is mostly lighter so a half hour commute covers quite a long distance.

Jobs are pretty scarce outside tourism and care work but things are moving a bit. Dp has been made redundant (sales/marketing/IT) 4 times in 8 months, but has spent no more than a few weeks unemployed each time. I work in Care wink

Hope this is useful smile

Haroon Tue 21-Aug-12 19:39:00

Hi Everyone.

we are a couple with a newborn (one week old). we are planning to move to Bournemouth area (have visited the place on long weekend holidays and have always loved the place). Now we have a baby and we would like to settle in a relaxed environment and create few memories.

We are currently privately renting in Hillingdon (near London).We would be looking for ideally a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

the questions I have in mind are.

1>where is the best place to look for apartments on web ? (I have contacted one but they asked if I have a "job". which I currently have but I plan on leaving that when we make the move to Bournemouth )
2>What sort of job prospects are in Bournemouth ?
3>if anyone reading this made the move to Bournemouth what suggestion they would give us ?

we have some savings plus I trade currencies and stocks from home.

I plan on leaving my job and move to Bournemouth with wife and newborn.We have money to sustain ourselves for 6 to 8 months. during this time I will be trading from home plus if needed I will find a Part time job to cover additional expenses.

I have experience in accountancy + customer services roles + trading equities & Forex

Any advice or wise words for me ? mush appreciated.

is 600£ reasonable for decent 1 or 2 bedroom apartment ?

also it would be great to make some like minded friends in Bournemouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now