Hooray, I can get BBC abroad on iplayer!

(39 Posts)
earthcapricorn Thu 03-Apr-08 19:09:42

Just wanted to share the good news that it is possible to get BBC abroad without spending hours at the computer looking for elusive 'proxies'. I finally stumbled on the very nice people at International Alliance Privacy Services and they have fixed it for me so I can watch BBC iplayer from my home in Sweden. It costs less than £2 per week and we have access to all the children's favourite programmes at last. Just in time for the return of Doctor Who too!

SirJimmySeville Sat 31-May-08 04:36:53

I've just got a Slingbox, which means i can watch my home TV on the other side of the Atlantic, which is pretty amazing. It does require you having a TV set/Sky or tame co-operative relative in the UK, but it works really well, I can even Sky+ things so I can watch them at the right time of day.

iastaff Fri 02-Jan-09 03:07:55

Hi All,

We have brand new United Kingdom servers for all your BBC needs. We have opened United States servers as well for those of you abroad looking for U.S. based tv services. We will be adding a Germany service later this month as well. On a last note, we've given the store area a brand new face lift and you can see it here: http://www.intl-alliance.com/store

SuperBunny Fri 02-Jan-09 03:18:02

You should post this in the business section and pay to advertise.

alipiggie Fri 02-Jan-09 05:04:07

Feel like reporting it all over again. Go to the Small Ads Section please. No free advertising.

SuperBunny Fri 02-Jan-09 05:13:31

Is there a discount for MNers?

flumperoo Sat 03-Jan-09 03:47:03

Do any other mumsnetters use this service? I've just signed up for a free trial but can't get it working despite following their instructions. After following their instructions to change the proxy settings, I was blocked out of the internet all together with a message that read: Proxy Server Refused Connection.

So, is it legit or not? Their help informatieon seems to want me to give them full access to my pc so they can set it up for me.

Has anyone else managed to set-up and use this successfully?

smile

nooka Sat 03-Jan-09 04:36:10

None of these services are strictly legal, and a few have been closed down in the last year or so.

danmoss Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:45

Only trouble with the Hotspot Shield is that it seems to be bundled with spyware, not too sure Channel 4OD works on it either now.
Best bet I guess is to go for a paid service, but one that's cheap enough.
I saw this one for 2.99

http://www.watchiplayer.com/trialoffer.html

danmoss Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:57

Only trouble with the Hotspot Shield is that it seems to be bundled with spyware, not too sure Channel 4OD works on it either now.
Best bet I guess is to go for a paid service, but one that's cheap enough.
I saw this one for 2.99

www.watchiplayer.com/trialoffer.html

I use a VPN on my ipad, connect to that, use the bbc iplayer / 4od /itv app and plug the ipad into my tv via a hdmi cable. Subscribe to an "expat vpn network" for a few GBP a month (wont mention which one, there are several) and it works brilliantly. Kids love cbbc and I get british bake offs etc

chloeb2002 Fri 29-Mar-13 22:56:47

Not that I have has time to try it yet but here in Aus a recent magazine article suggested a site called hola.org. It allows access to BBc iplayer in full not the edited overseas version... And it's free

MercedesKing Sat 30-Mar-13 03:39:39

Great news! I have long been blocked as well and had always been digging to get BBC abroad... Thanks!

Astelia Wed 10-Apr-13 08:46:25

I had a look but found hola only works on Windows, not Macs.

SavoyCabbage Thu 11-Apr-13 03:42:51

I use a VPN through my ipad too. Then use 'airplay' to watch it on the TV.

Also you can get a lot of stuff on YouTube now. I've been watching Saturday Night Takeaway on there as there are no adverts. You can watch YouTube through an ipad too.

We also use Hulu on the ipad to watch American stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now