Applying to grammar schools once 11 plus is past

(7 Posts)
ItchyFeet16 Wed 16-Nov-16 02:41:55

We've been overseas for some time and are likely to move to the London area if not imminently then maybe in the next 3-4 years (it's a long story!)

My question is what happens if we miss the 11 plus entrance exams for our daughter because we are still overseas? Is it possible to apply for a grammar school place at age 12, 13 for example? Apologies if this is a dumb question, we are Scottish and not familiar with the English system. Thank you!

OlennasWimple Wed 16-Nov-16 03:12:07

I've been wondering this too, so I'm marking my place...

PrincessGeorge Wed 16-Nov-16 03:19:34

Way way back in the 90s, I got into a grammar school by doing the 12 +, but I imagine it depends on how full the school is/ assuming each admission year is full, whether anyone has left the school a year later.

Lucy7400 Wed 16-Nov-16 03:36:34

I dont know but suggest you look at the admissions section on some.od.tje grammar school websites. Tiffins is the name of one.

cannotseeanend Wed 16-Nov-16 08:17:38

It depends entirely upon places being available in your desired school. Each school / LEA has adjusted entry tests for older children.

Some years will be a no no, like years 11 and 13.

fatbottomgirl67 Wed 16-Nov-16 08:26:38

At dd's ssgs you would have to sit an entrance exam from year 8 upwards.( if there was space available) We were told that it was similar to common entrance. They also said that the kids from state usually struggled with the language section compared to those from private schools. Not sure how this compairs to other grammars. Best to contact the individual schools and ask their policy.

ItchyFeet16 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:11:25

Excellent, thanks very much for your replies. I'll search for the individual grammars (Kent) and contact them directly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now