would you move to Mauritius?

(11 Posts)
winterblue Wed 26-Oct-16 14:28:18

I am potentially being offered a move to Mauritius from the UK with my company to do a job I would enjoy.

My reservations are:
2 children aged 6 and 8
A husband (although he is a qualified teacher and could probably move anywhere)
It's a big move to a small island
I am happy in my social circle, friendship group, church and running club where we live at the moment
My DC are very happy at school
My working life would change a lot, currently I work from home so apart from the odd trip away I can pick up and drop off DC from school and be there when they get home from school. This would be an office based role and a fairly time consuming one.
I worry that it would be a very small place

I have visited a few times and it is beautiful but I'm not sure if it's just holiday beautiful and would wear very thin after a while.

OlennasWimple Wed 26-Oct-16 14:31:26

Would it be a permanent move or a time limited contract?

Maquiladora Wed 26-Oct-16 14:34:38

I wouldn't move in your circumstances; sounds like you have a lovely life in the here and now.

lightcola Wed 26-Oct-16 14:34:40

Having moved away to start new jobs etc a couple of times I suggest you stay where you are. You have a great set up currently and I think you would regret leaving it.

JustSpeakSense Wed 26-Oct-16 14:38:33

I've been to Mauritius on holiday and it is a beautiful place....for a holiday, I'm not sure it would be A very nice place to live and raise your children.

winterblue Thu 27-Oct-16 13:16:27

Yes, that's the conclusion I reached yesterday. However, I have been wondering if I'm denying my children an amazing childhood with outdoor lifestyle and the chance to become bilingual - albeit the first few months would be hard for us all.

I should probably have put some parameters what I said above (which was a knee jerk post after the discussion at work!)
- DH and I have lived overseas before (E.Africa) for three years so are used to the "African way"
- We both speak fluent French
- This could potentially be on my terms so it could be just a two year move or so.
- I know a few people over there already as have spent a bit of time over there for work over the years.

The school day over there is 0730-1400. If I could negotiate my working hours to be 0700-1500 I would feel more comfortable I think.

Forgive me for using this as a sounding board. Don't really want to discuss IRL at the moment as it's such a vague thought at the moment.

Laptopwieldingharpy Thu 27-Oct-16 15:16:05

Yes i can see how it could teally be a great couple of years, or totally disastrous uprooting the children.
They are no longer toddlers. Ask them. Lay it all down for all to give their input.

Vagabond Thu 27-Oct-16 15:22:45

You should go! You children will love it, your DH will get a job. It will be a great experience.

My parents moved me around a lot as a child and I'm so grateful that they did. I have now lived in 11 countries and I'm so glad to have had that experience. I recently moved from England (a country I love) to Australia with my DD who was 12 at the time. She loves her new life in Oz and has so much more access to sports and an outdoor lifestyle. She has transformed from a girl who only wanted to 'go to town' to a girl who plays sport 4 times a week and goes to the beach on the weekends.
it's only for a couple of years - give it a go. You know Africa (my DH is Zim so I understand) - go for it. You'd regret it if you didn't. Lucky you!!

fakenamefornow Thu 27-Oct-16 15:23:47

Two years sounds ok and the children aren't at a really crucial state at school yet. I think if the rest of the family are ok with it I'd rent out my house and go.

uggerboff Thu 27-Oct-16 15:27:05

My DH's extended family are in Mauritius. I've been there loads of times for extended stays. I think it would be a brilliant place for your children. Lots of schools teach in English as well as french so that wouldn't be an issue.
In the 20 years I've been visiting it has changed a lot. Much more commercial. The plus side is that you can get most things in the big supermarkets now. DH's cousins always wanted bras from UK!
It would drive me mad, it's so small!
A fixed contract for a couple of years would be great though.

steppemum Thu 27-Oct-16 16:41:13

I would go for the 2 years and plan to come back for secondary.

It is a great experience for children to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now