Moving to Canada

(6 Posts)
BWatchWatcher Thu 22-Sep-16 07:55:53

Hi,
We're considering moving to Canada. I'm originally from Alberta and have Canadian citizenship, as do my dc. My dh does not.
I'm not even sure where to start to be honest. My parents are still in Canada and are quite elderly.
We have no immediate family in this city but have been here for 19 years so quite a lot of roots.
Brexit, the conservative party and NI politics however have made us incredibly fed up.
Any practical websites we can look at to work out the next steps?
Thanks!

UKsounding Fri 23-Sep-16 02:35:33

Try here

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 23-Sep-16 04:11:14

Lots of good info on CIC. According to their website, the waiting time for a spousal sponsorship from the UK is 15 months.
What job does he have? Just wondering if Express Entry might be an option?

Immigration isn't fun in Canada, I'll say that. Patience and calm are your friends. We had a chat with an immigration lawyer which helped.

BWatchWatcher Fri 23-Sep-16 06:53:47

Thanks guys! We both work in IT so are hoping we could get an employer to sponsor him.
Not even sure how that works though. Must research the links above.

I was sponsored. It's a bit tough because you have to prove that no Canadians want the job while proving that they are paying adequately for the sector. Although some IT jobs are like that. Maybe not in Alberta at the moment...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now