Extended trip to Canada, need insurance

(10 Posts)
EtonMess1 Tue 13-Sep-16 08:58:15

Hello, new on here, so hopefully I'm posting this correctly.

My 18 year old daughter would like to go to Canada for an extended time, about 6-7 months. She will be staying with grandparents in Victoria BC. She has a few medical conditions that need to be considered. I was just wondering if anyone can help suggesting an insurance company they have used from the UK. She will need insurance for 3 months and then can apply for medical insurance in Canada. Oh, and she has dual citizenship.

Thank you to anyone that can assist me 😀

JJ

EtonMess1 Tue 13-Sep-16 16:13:50

Bump, can anyone help.

Hberries Tue 13-Sep-16 16:19:24

Hi, there is something called 'Visitors to Canada Insurance'. Each province has multiple insurance firms that offer this service. I would google and ring a few to discuss your daughter's specific medical history. We used it for a few months when we first moved to ON, before OHIP officially covered us (after 3 months). I think it's similar for BC. Other than that, have you tried somewhere like BUPA to see if they offer extended worldwide cover?

specialsubject Tue 13-Sep-16 16:43:41

She needs long stay travel insurance for the entire trip. This covers medical repatriation to the uk if (hope not) it were needed. The canadian medical cover wont do that.

She needs to ensure it covers work, sports, activities and declare all the medical issues.

Look for gap year cover, backpacker cover etc. Not basic annual travel insurance as per a recent case.

EtonMess1 Tue 13-Sep-16 18:11:35

Thank you for your info from the both of you. Didn't think of gap year travel. 😀😀

lamprey42 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:49:31

There are insurance products specifically for before Medicare kicks in. We used the co-operators but medivae blue cross do as well.

lamprey42 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:51:07

.... But as special says you need to look at repatriation cover etc too so as she says gap year type might be better.

EtonMess1 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:02:50

Thank you, I will continue looking.

specialsubject Fri 16-Sep-16 14:40:46

Make that 'she' will be looking, with your help.

lizzieoak Mon 26-Sep-16 02:35:28

Pretty sure you have to be in BC 6 months to get BCMed coverage www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now