BBC in NYC?

(10 Posts)
Systemfailure Wed 13-Jul-16 13:33:29

Hi all,
Moving to NYC shortly. Kids are desperate to know if they are going to be able to get CBBC and BBC out there so they can watch their favourite programmes. Anybody know?
Thanks

LowDudgeon Wed 13-Jul-16 13:36:55

DD1 lives in NYC & she's managed - you have to use a proxy ISP or something?

But if they do start blocking iplayer service from those who don't pay the licence fee I think it will be opened up to people abroad who do pay (I can't remember now exactly what was said, will google)

MiddleClassProblem Wed 13-Jul-16 13:40:34

When on holiday we used an app called Tunnel Bear on my iPad. You get a small allowance free or pay monthly, different brackets. We did one month £2.99 and it anchors your device to the uk so you can use those apps as if you were at home. We cancelled it once home so you don't have to use it longer if you can then just pay for BBC etc. We used it for BBC iplayer and sky go (to watch the walking dead finale which we couldn't possibly miss!)

LowDudgeon Wed 13-Jul-16 13:41:31

there's going to be a US subscription service

Apparently they are blocking VPN access (that was the thing I was groping for with "proxy ISP" grin)

MiddleClassProblem Wed 13-Jul-16 13:48:07

Tunnel bear is Vpn so you could use that until the pay for service comes in or maybe get some DVDs (whatever region you need over there) or buy some on iTunes (although that can get repetitive)

mrsmortis Wed 13-Jul-16 15:58:34

According to the wiki page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBBC_(TV_channel)

CBBC is available on the Dish network.

OlennasWimple Thu 14-Jul-16 05:30:56

A lot of the individual programmes are shown here - what are her current favourites?

Systemfailure Thu 14-Jul-16 17:40:24

They are a bit older so it's Horrible Histories on CBBC and Strictly of course!

OlennasWimple Thu 14-Jul-16 17:59:37

I think you'll need to get HH through YouTube, and convert to Dancing With The Stars - just like Strictly, but the stars are bigger (though often unknown outside the US), the standard is much much higher and the costumes much much skimpier grin

ohtobeanonymous Tue 19-Jul-16 10:55:33

VPN. express vpn website well worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now