UK to Galway - middle-aged and secondary children?

(6 Posts)
Rarily Wed 29-Jun-16 13:02:04

We have the possibility of moving to Galway with DH's job. I have relatives in Ireland and so know the country fairly well, but wonder what it is like to relocate abroad, with children of this age, but also being pretty established where we live in our early middle age! Have any of you regretted such a move?

How have you found the move and do you like living there? What is the job situation like? (DH would have work but I would need to find some - admin, teaching...]

How do you find the rain???

Thanks smile

Imarriedaniceman Wed 29-Jun-16 23:02:09

Hi

Galway is a great spot as you probably know if you are already familiar with Ireland. I relocated to Brussels from Cork when I was forty but my children were younger than yours. I think it's good to mix it up as you get older, keeps you flexible. My main concern would be the children. What do they think about a proposed move? Have they been to Galway/Ireland before? At that age you will need to have them on board. But Galway really is a magical city so they might thank you down the line particularly if they are creatively inclined.

Hope this helps.

Rarily Fri 01-Jul-16 13:08:20

Thanks Imarriedaniceman. Yes my daughter has been to Ireland and enjoys the company of cousins there and she seems open to the idea....

Cakescakescakes Fri 01-Jul-16 13:16:38

I don't know anything about moving but the Galway area is a really spectacularly beautiful part of Ireland. Lots going on, good arts scene etc.

NotSoFancyHanky Fri 01-Jul-16 13:16:41

Relocated to Ireland 2 years ago with younger children.
It's been a very positive move and lovely to leave the London rat race behind.
As you probably know things are more expensive here and healthcare is not as good. The country is generally positive at the moment and especially in an urban setting like Galway you should be able to find employment.

Rarily Sat 02-Jul-16 16:57:50

Thanks - yes I had wondered about the employment situation. I did ring a couple of employment agencies about part time senior administrative work but didn't get a lot of information from them....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now