Kids going to school/kindy in Spain short term - is it possible?

(5 Posts)
RupertPupkin Fri 27-May-16 17:39:40

It looks like we might be spending three to four months in Spain soon (it's all complicated so will spare all the logistical details!). Not sure where we'll be.

Kids will be almost 6 and 3. They are both fluent in Spanish and English. We would only be there for three months though - would it be possible to send them to school or kindergarten for this short time? If not, any suggestions?

SuburbanRhonda Fri 27-May-16 17:44:23

Home school them?

RupertPupkin Fri 27-May-16 17:48:10

Not possible as we'll both be working.

Justjibberish Fri 27-May-16 18:11:58

When you say soon, how soon do you mean? Spanish school holidays start mid June and they return somewhere around the 10th September. There are lots of childrens club type things over the summer but prices vary. As far as I can remember (DS now in his twenties) they have to be 4 to attend state school. All through his school life there were non Spanish children who'd attend for a term or two before moving to a different school, normally because of language difficulties, which obviously won't be an issue for your two, so I can't see there'd be a problem with your 6yo. Regarding pre school AFAIK these are all private so I'm sure they'd be more than willing to take a child short term. With school, bear in mind that some schools still have the split day, so 9-1 and then 3.30 -5 so depending on your work you might need to look for a childminder over midday. A lot of schools have phased this out and some run lunch clubs.

RupertPupkin Fri 27-May-16 18:27:13

Thank you so much, Just, that is really helpful. I know nothing so starting from zero here.

Goodness that's a long holiday. We would be there mid July so probably looking for a club/summer activity type thing then.

I think I need to find out more about where we're going and then look into local activities. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now