Home Sickness

(19 Posts)
Hariasa Tue 26-Apr-16 16:09:42

We will be moving overseas later in the year.

I know that home sicknesses is natural and can't be avoided but is there anything I can do to help us (particularly the DC) through it?

LittleMissBossyBoots Tue 26-Apr-16 18:24:09

Get involved with the locals as soon as you can. Join in local events. Make connections. Eat the local food. The homesickness lessens as you embrace your new culture and put down roots.

Hariasa Tue 26-Apr-16 22:45:02

Thanks Miss good advice. We'll try and get the children into clubs and sports classes as soon as we can.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 27-Apr-16 08:51:04

I think parents suffer more than children to be honest. So many activities surround school - sports, clubs, new friends - that they adapt quickly. IME as a parent you spend the first 6 months rushing around sorting school, activities, household, job etc that when that all calms down you feel a bit homesick.

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 09:18:36

That's probably right Shanghai, I won't be working either which is a big change for me as I'm currently full time.

I've started researching exercise classes, evening classes etc in the area we are moving to, I don't want to be sitting at home miserably all day.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 27-Apr-16 09:42:57

Good idea.
I remember at 6 months in thinking - bugger this is my new life!

FinallyHere Wed 27-Apr-16 12:05:23

We moved around a bit, my mother's recipe was to throw yourself into all and any social events and to remember that 'the first year doesn't count' towards deciding whether you like a new place. Hope it goes well for you.

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 12:41:53

Thanks Finally - that seems like a pretty good philosophy!

Acornantics Wed 27-Apr-16 12:45:07

I lived overseas for a few years, my lifelines were the gym where I met a fantastic group of friends of all ages and nationalities, and the DCs school where I volunteered.

Good luck with the move, where are you moving to?

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 13:42:53

The US Acorn so happily there''s no language barrier.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 27-Apr-16 14:37:11

Some great advice on here, I totally agree with throwing yourself into everything, even the stuff outside your comfort zone. I went to a meetup group (meetup.com is excellent for finding groups btw) in a cafe and couldn't find the right group of people. I walked round and round, headed for the door and back to my car. I wanted to go home. However, I gave myself a good talking to and went back in, asking every table if they were the right group. Eventually found them and 2 years later, I'm running the group of 200 ladies. Definitely take a leap, you need to redefine your comfort zone.

Acornantics Wed 27-Apr-16 15:20:38

Hariasa we were there too. ..some days I wondered about us all speaking the same language! grin

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 17:12:23

Callmeoh luckily I'm pretty outgoing and like meeting new people just as well.

Acorn. grin I'm wondering how long it will take us all to switch over to 'restrooms, oftentimes, recess and vacation' etc

Acornantics Wed 27-Apr-16 18:57:41

Hariasa if you can pronounce water as 'waaaddderrr' (seriously, asking for water in a diner drew blank looks) and remind DCs not to ask for a rubber in class, you'll be fine! And who knew, a purse is a pocketbook and a bag a purse.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 27-Apr-16 19:17:25

Which part of the USA are you moving to? I'm in Texas and this has been my hardest move yet, I totally underestimated how foreign it would feel (I speak the language, I watch US TV, should be fine....). I'm not trying to scare you and I know expats who have lived elsewhere (particularly West Coast and North East cities) who have found moving a breeze. Texas and the southern states are very different and although I was surprised at how much settling in I had to do, it's all good and we are happy here.

FinallyHere Wed 27-Apr-16 19:47:09

Acorn for us, in the states, it was all about pants. Seems they are outerwear (i think). Who knew?

trickster78 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:42:03

We've just moved to Atlanta from the UK (4 weeks ago). Kids are at pre k and school and seem to be adapting well. I'm doing OK, bit lonely I guess but meeting someone for coffee tomorrow, met some nice mums in the neighbourhood so hopefully I might make a friend soon!
It does feel very foreign, I don't get how things work here, do you tip the bag packer in the supermarkets etc, their paper is a different size...

Hariasa Wed 27-Apr-16 22:32:01

As it happens Callme it is Texas.

And don't worry - already somewhat scared!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 28-Apr-16 17:51:17

If you're near Houston, let me know, I can give you the inside scoop! I also have a fab British friend here who is an excellent relocation expert and realtor, I run an expat coffee group and I have another friend who has written the definitive expat guide to Houston. If you're not heading to Houston, I can still give you the low down ;)

Pm me if you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now