If you live in a tropical climate - what do your DC wear most of the time?

(18 Posts)
BevyofQuails Fri 15-Apr-16 15:56:28

We're moving to Singapore in a few months. I've read in a few places kids' clothes are one of the things to stock up on in the UK, but I don't want to buy a load of stuff that's going to end up inappropriate.

I've got two DDS, 7 & 5, I've picked up some light cotton dresses but then worried about coverage for sun protection on their shoulders. And I've got some short sleeve rash vest type swim sets, do dcs wear them or just normal swimsuits? And shoes - will they live in flip-flops outside of school?

JamieVardysParty Fri 15-Apr-16 16:13:42

I lived in Singapore for a number of years and still have lots of friends there with kids.

Most did stock up in the UK although Next does ship for free. I also didn't find H&M to be that expensive in comparison.

Most of the kids were in shorts and tshirts all the time, and rash vests were popular - although we were friends with lots of Aussies so that could be why.

In terms of footwear, a lot of the kids wore Crocs.

Artandco Fri 15-Apr-16 16:17:07

We travel to hot climates a lot. My boys wear thin long sleeved cotton or linen casual shirts most of the time. And proper leather sandals rather than flip flops. They wear crocs near water

DesertOrDessert Fri 15-Apr-16 17:01:43

Probably class as tropical, but very dry here.
Kids live in tee-shirts, and shorts or skirts. Some summer dresses, but yes to shoulder coverage. Thats where I need to cover, and hence dresses don't work for me.
My oldest (boy) actually prefers trainers to keep the sand out. Youngest goes for sandals. Flip-flops get kicked off to run in the park when I see them.
Crocs or flip flops for the pool (and from my 4 yr olds loosing of them just walking there, I'm glad it's not the preferred footware for us).
Yes, rash vests popular and I've got one too
I can easily find kids stuff here, but am struggling with stuff for me. Might be worth checking what Singapore is like for ladies, especially if your not petite.

Ishqa Fri 15-Apr-16 17:02:47

We used to live there. I'd stock up on those all-in-one zip-up style swimsuits, as they will be in the pool all the time and give the best sun protection.
Mine just lived, very boringly, in t-shirts and shorts, crocs and trainers and nothing else!
The only time you need another layer to wear is if you go to the cinema or are in a mall/public bus/MRT for a long time where the air conditioning is way colder than it ought to be!
Used to shock me seeing commuters wearing sweaty tights and cardigans and things, but then you realise they dress like that because of the air con in their offices.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 15-Apr-16 17:12:01

T shirts and shorts, tshirt dresses, flip flops. Rash tops every time went swimming and caps when outside. Nothing with straps / bare shoulders as I can't be doing with sunscreen every 10 mins and this is where my dcs get burnt most.

Cardigan or fleece for shopping malls and cinemas.

NatD1 Fri 15-Apr-16 17:27:56

T shirt and shorts. Light cotton dresses with crop leggings. Yes to rash vests = no messing round with suntan cream. Flip flops. Sandals. Pumps. Cap / sun hat.

Enjoy Singapore.

BevyofQuails Sat 16-Apr-16 08:59:09

Thanks smile T-shirts and shorts it is. Getting excited now smile

xinchao Mon 18-Apr-16 15:26:33

Mine wears shorts/tshirts/vests. He lives in his crocs because they are so easy to take off/put on (we live in a country where you have to take shoes off a lot). Long sleeve rash vests are essential.

dizzytomato Wed 20-Apr-16 02:28:40

School uniform is shorts and tshirt but the playground is covered, , trousers and long sleeves are used in winter and older DS cannot wear shorts for school,. But he's only at school until 11.30am and mornings are never too hot. The rest of the time they hang around the house in their underwear or just shorts and tshirt. We don't go out in the sun between 1-4 and only go in the pool in the late afternoon or evening so no need for full cover clothes.
Footwear varies, no flipflops for school and my children are not fans of crocs. Although they have them and they are good for slipping on and off to go outside. Barefoot is their preference but we are out in the country and unless they go on the grass there is a risk of burns to bare feet, even from sand or soil.. They like canvas shoes like converse or dunlop or normal trainers.

FreddoFrog Wed 20-Apr-16 02:45:57

You've probably been told this already, but buy school shoes before you leave the UK! They are expensive here.

But yes my kids live in shorts & t-shirts or light dresses. Their school uniform has a cardigan but they've never worn them and I wish I hadn't bought them. Sandals and flip flops.

Swimmers with rash vests. The sun is not as hot here as say Australia but you definitely need sunscreen when out between say 10am and 2pm. Currently going through a heatwave, even my heat-loving helper is complaining!

Think about getting a beach cover up for you, beach bag, towel ponchos for the kids (mine need them for school swimming), broad brimmed hats.

Strokethefurrywall Wed 20-Apr-16 03:02:38

Live in the Caribbean. My two (4 and 2) only wear shorts and t-shirts and I stick up on next stuff every summer.

They wear the all in one uv swimsuits and I get everyone to bring over multiple bottles of p20 from the airport as I only need to apply once a day.

I keep a few long sleeved light tops and joggers around for plane journeys and that's about it!

Glastokitty Wed 20-Apr-16 03:36:26

T-shirt shorts and crocs, rashies for the beach. Hats and sunnies too. We're in Oz. Some sweaters and long pants are needed in winter though.

KeyserSophie Wed 20-Apr-16 05:22:22

Concur with the above- we do get a winter here (HK) but have "tropical summers".

Crocs are ubiquitous and much as I loathe them, they are quite practical as they don't soak through when you get sudden downpours and easy to get on and off.

For everyday it's T-shirts/ vest tops and shorts, skorts or sun dresses. I like Cotton On in Singapore for that sort of thing. Boden will also ship I believe and I get a lot of their stuff from there.

My DD wears rash vests for swimming/ beach over normal swimming costumes or with board shorts. Toddlers tend to wear the full UV suits. Older kids don't as apparently it's social death grin

You do have to keep an eye on the sun, but you get used to it quite quickly- kids pools/ paygrounds sometimes have shaders and you learn which parks and playgrounds are in the shade at various times of the day.

SharingMichelle Wed 20-Apr-16 06:06:43

The 4 yr old wears cotton dresses or shorts / leggings and t-shirts.
7 yr old boy lives in those soft, stretchy shorts and t-shirts (or prances round the house in his pants).
10 yr old wears leggings mostly, or shorts and t-shirts.
They each have a pair of sneakers, and a pair of sandals for school (Tivas or Birks are good and last), plus trainers and flipflops.

SharingMichelle Wed 20-Apr-16 06:12:28

My top tip would be to get them those toweling dresses - not a hooded towel, an actual dress made of terry-toweling. Very handy for chucking on to go home in after pool / beach / garden hose etc.

Laptopwieldingharpy Thu 21-Apr-16 00:36:29

And bring nice light cotton PJs
It's mostly disney characters in nylon fabric here. That said, undies and a vest is a default option most of the time!
Cotton on is great!

mmgirish Thu 21-Apr-16 13:09:44

My boys live in shorts, t-shirts and crocs outside of school. Although I often get home to them wearing just a nappy/pants. I try to buy good quality swimwear as they spend so much time in pools or in the sea and agree with the earlier poster that long sleeve rash vests are a must. Australian brands are the best usually. I always buy them long sleeve and long leg cotton pjs in the UK (I like the ones from matalan) as they sleep in AC here. I love cotton on too and always buy lots from that shop if we're in Singapore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now