Moving to Washington DC: Help!!

(4 Posts)
T0astmonster Wed 10-Feb-16 00:39:42

We're moving from Cambridge in the UK to Washington DC for DH's job in July (he's American) and I have no idea where to start! We have two x DS, one is nearly 5 and in Reception, the other was 3 yesterday. We think the eldest will be ahead of his peers in that American kids don't start school until they're 5, and he'll have just about completed his reception year, and I have no idea what might be available for our youngest! We're hoping to live in Old Town or Del Ray in an effort to be part of a community and avoid using the car too much (and try and make it a bit more like our life here, which we love!!). If anyone can offer any advice/insight I would REALLY appreciate it!! Thank you!!

FrancisdeSales Fri 26-Feb-16 14:39:11

I went to Georgetown in DC where I met DH but it was about 20 years ago. I would try and find a forum for the DC area I'm sure there are many many expats and transplants from all over who could give you advice

Ward3new Wed 16-Mar-16 04:19:33

Many american children go to preschool which starts when they're 2-3 and stay until they're 5. There they learn skills needed in schools (reading, simple math, and science) as well as behaviorial skills often focusing on being respectful and responsible. In a place like D.C., especially if you are considering sending your children to a private school, most children went to preschool andyour son shouldn't be too far ahead, if at all.
As a longtime resident of the Capitol Hill neighborhood I prefer Old Town to Del Ray, but it all depends what you want. Old City seems like more of a smaller section within a larger city while del ray seems like a small town besides a city. If you have a chance visit before deciding exactly where you want to love, but they're both great options.

Ward3new Wed 16-Mar-16 04:20:39

So many errors... Blame it on the iPhone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now