best schools in East Singapore

(14 Posts)
Emmadufo Wed 25-Nov-15 10:48:51

Hi everyone,

After much to-ing and fro-ing it finally looks like we will be making the move to Singapore from the UK in the new year. Based on my husband's work location we are looking at accommodation and schools in the East with the priority of finding the right school for my 5 year old son (currently year 1) I would be most grateful for suggestions of best schools in the East; I have provisionally looked online at Eton House and Chatsworth. If you have any good accommodation suggestions they would also be gratefully received! Thanks everyone

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 25-Nov-15 12:10:22

Uwc!

Laptopwieldingharpy Wed 25-Nov-15 12:13:59

Where is work? Towards marina or further out towards changi?
Nice affordable houses in bedok and a nice community feel.
big swanky condos around fort rd/marine
parade. A few houses and shophouses too.
What do you prefer?

Emmadufo Wed 25-Nov-15 13:08:38

thanks for this - we will be nearer changi. I'm not quite sure about the huge condo concept, I like the facilities but would prefer something more low rise/house but with a shared pool, etc, is this possible?

Schools - why UWC?

Thanks for all your advice - feel like a rabbit in the headlights right now!

ChopsticksandChilliCrab Wed 25-Nov-15 13:33:51

Definitely UWC. It is not-for-profit and has great facilities and teachers. It is more expensive than the others but you do get what you pay for.

Emmadufo Wed 25-Nov-15 13:41:56

interesting, thank you - what curriculum do they run - can't obviously see it on the website?

ChopsticksandChilliCrab Wed 25-Nov-15 14:41:09

They are an IB school.

Laptopwieldingharpy Thu 26-Nov-15 01:58:35

Uwc constently ranks as the best international school in Singapore and in Asia.
It has a very well established IB program, experienced teachers well versed in a variety of curriculae ( uk, us, ontario etc....) as well as IB.
At primary level though, there are a lot of other options.
There a nice cluster if houses around bedok/sennet road.
And many lowrise small condos around still road.
Chatsworth is not a great school. High staff turnover which is never a good sign. There are better options even a bit further. School buses run very efficiently around the island.

Emmadufo Fri 27-Nov-15 13:47:12

thanks for this. I'm not sure Chatsworth would work as it seems they are closing their East Campus.... what do you think of OWIS? We actually really liked Dover Court, would that be too far to travel to the other side of the island? Also, and sorry for firing so many questions here, can you recommend any good kindergartens in the East (I have 2 1/2 year old daughter as well). Huge thanks....

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 27-Nov-15 23:53:52

Call Dover Court and ask about their bus pick up times. Our bus from Bukit Timah to Dover Court took as long as the East Coast bus because it stopped so many times on the way.... We loved Dover Court so much we moved our youngest there for our last year in Singapore, just so she could do their nursery year.

Laptopwieldingharpy Sat 28-Nov-15 02:10:54

You'd have to live closer to Fort road to make it work.
The drive with no traffic at all would be 20-25mn door to door. I'd say 45mn on the school bus.
The rents are not notably cheaper on the east coast.
I would seriously consider living closer to Dover and have your husband commute.

Kuriusoranj Sat 28-Nov-15 02:57:09

It does honestly depend on what you're looking for and, difficult though it can be, I'd recommend going to see them before you make a final choice.

We're at EtonHouse, which is not the flashiest or best-equipped in the country by a long long way. We chose it because it is (relatively) small and has an amazing family feel. The staff is great, hugely supportive and cope beautifully with my child. Yes, I occasionally get facility envy, but for primary it suits us well. However, in the end it will come down to your priorities and your child. Happy to discuss by PM if you have specific questions.

There are tonnes of pre-schools around - my general advice would be not to stick with a very ex-patty pre-school if you can. My youngest is at a local (but private) pre-school and is essentially bilingual Mandarin - English, after less than 2 years. It's been an amazing experience for everybody's education.

We love living in the East - it has a very suburban feel which we were looking for. I do think it's cheaper - you definitely get more space for your money than closer to the CBD. We were not keen on the whole condo thing in theory, but since being here I wouldn't have it any other way. Our condo has only 2 blocks, so it's small enough not to feel like a resort hotel, but still has facilities and plenty of people around if you want to be sociable. Don't try to reproduce the lifestyle you have at home - try the condo life rather than a house, at least for a while. I think it makes it easier to acclimatise.

It's a daunting prospect I know, but honestly, it's a relatively easy move. It's a very easy place to be an expat and you find so many people in the same boat, at various points in the cycle. Best of luck!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 28-Nov-15 04:38:07

If you're looking for little houses with a shared pool, look for "cluster houses" or "townhouses" on the property guru site. If you live on the East Coast nearer Fort Road, your dh will commuting against the traffic if he drives (although the MRT is great for commuting).

FreddoFrog Sat 28-Nov-15 05:56:54

OP, we're at Dover Court and the kids (5 and 3) are very happy there. It's a lovely school. If you decide to go there, I would also suggest you moving close to school and your husband commuting. Anyway, just popped on to say welcome and good luck with your move! It honestly won't take you too long to get settled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now