Does anyone know anything about living in Figi?

(12 Posts)
partialderivative Fri 09-Oct-15 18:14:00

I am thinking about applying for a job there, but I know next to nothing about it.

any opinions?

SirChenjin Fri 09-Oct-15 18:15:08

That it's spelt Fiji?!

Sorry - couldn't resist grin

Rosa Fri 09-Oct-15 18:23:22

The beer is great .... People are really nice and the men wear skirts... NOt really useful stuff but i would go back in a flash !

YouBastardSockBalls Fri 09-Oct-15 19:03:06

Oooh Sir you got there first! grin

BoboChic Sat 10-Oct-15 15:58:51

One of my cousins has a business there. Her DH adores it, she quite likes it but travels (mostly to Europe and the US) for quite a bit of every year as she needs civilisation/Nespresso/friends to keep her sane.

CarriesBucketOfBlood Sat 10-Oct-15 16:20:01

I don't know much, but I would worry about hurricanes/ typhoons. I imagine the archipelago nature of the whole continent makes rescue and restructuring very slow. A quick wikipedia says there are 10-12 cyclones a decade that pass through.

partialderivative Sat 10-Oct-15 17:59:54

FFS, I wrote Figi!

I hang my head in shame

partialderivative Sat 10-Oct-15 18:01:07

I like the news about the beer being good

specialsubject Sat 10-Oct-15 21:35:47

only been on holiday, and not seen much. Beautiful bits, lots of poverty, lots of politics, interesting racial tensions to put it mildly.

and more military coups than you can shake a stick at.

perhaps start here?

www.fijitimes.com/

Floppy5885 Sat 10-Oct-15 21:39:11

Wasn't there some political unrest?

specialsubject Sun 11-Oct-15 11:21:05

to put it mildly...

GrinAndTonic Mon 26-Oct-15 04:00:53

Friends of mine just moved there for work. He is a helicopter pilot. They took the three DC's including a newborn. She now has household staff (housekeeper and gardner), the kids attend the local school, they play with the local and expat kids, are learning Fijian and hanging out at the beach. They say it is like any place, there are good and bad places. They struggle to get certain grocery items they like but it is quite cheap to fly to and from Australia so they stock up then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now