Passport renewal from the USA - witness?

(4 Posts)
SolasEile Tue 21-Jul-15 20:39:25

Has anyone else renewed their passport from the USA? How did you manage getting a witness who is not a notary? The passport renewal form states that I have to have my signature of the form witnessed by one of the following:

Police Officer
Member of the Clergy
School Principal/Vice Principal
Judge/Magistrate
Practicing Lawyer
Accountant
Medical Doctor
Bank Manager/Assistant Manager
Elected Public Representative

who can also verify my identity. I already asked my bank manager and he said they can no longer do that kind of thing and recommended I see a notary BUT apparently notaries require a special form that the Consulate doesn't provide.

Has anyone else done this? How have you got around this issue? I'm not religious so can't go to clergy and the US police scare the crap out of me with their propensity for killing people by accident and throwing people in jail for no reason so don't really want to approach them unless I have to. I have friends who are lawyers but they are not my 'family' lawyer but are employed by a corporation so I think they would have to get their signature of anything cleared by their employer. I don't have a regular medical doctor who sees me.

In general Americans seem completely weirded out by my request and think it's sketchy. A notary would be how this kind of thing would be handled here in the US.

Any suggestions? I am Irish by the way so the passport renewal is for the Irish Passport Office but I think the UK passport application has a similar requirement for a witness, hence I'm throwing it out there to Mumsnet!

mrsmortis Wed 22-Jul-15 11:59:09

My boss did it when I was in the US. But a member of any professional body could do it and she was a member of the IEEE (British rules). Theoretically your Lawyer friends would be signing it as a member of a professional body too, not based on their employment (you can be retired and still sign) so they should be OK.

SolasEile Wed 22-Jul-15 22:49:59

Thanks, mrsmontis. My lawyer friends have said they will do it so hopefully that will be OK. Bit of a complicated business though!

Want2bSupermum Mon 27-Jul-15 19:39:43

I am an accountant and do it all the time for Brits here in Northern NJ/ NYC. As long as i see a DL along with your passport and names match I am satisfied that you are who you say you are. If names on passport and DL don't match I ask to see a legal document explaining name change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now