Looking for a boarding IB school in France

(5 Posts)
bellaradic Mon 01-Jun-15 20:48:18

We are considering to place our son (age 16) in IB boarding school in France. His first language is English, so we are looking for an international school with IB curriculum. One of the schools that we viewed was Ermitage in Maison Lafitte close to Paris. Does anyone have any experience with this school and would you recommend it? Are there other international IB diploma schools to consider?

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Jun-15 13:16:13

Hi bellaradic - we're just going to pop this over to a more appropriate topic for you to get the best response.

cannotseeanend Tue 02-Jun-15 18:00:46

Try using google, here are the results

www.ibo.org/en/programmes/find-an-ib-school/?SearchFields.Region=&SearchFields.Country=FR&SearchFields.Keywords=&SearchFields.Language=&SearchFields.BoardingFacilities=&SearchFields.SchoolGender=&SearchFields.ProgrammeDP=true

cannotseeanend Tue 02-Jun-15 18:39:56

this is the full list of 4 which offer boarding too

www.ibo.org/en/programmes/find-an-ib-school/?SearchFields.Region=&SearchFields.Country=FR&SearchFields.Keywords=&SearchFields.Language=&SearchFields.BoardingFacilities=mixed&SearchFields.SchoolGender=&SearchFields.ProgrammeDP=true

shockthemonkey Tue 16-Jun-15 23:21:48

Hi, I know the school well, but cannot really recommend it. Caveat: I don't know the other IB boarding schools nor how they would compare to Ermitage!

Have you actually visited? You say "viewed" but that may be internet, I am not sure.

Where are you living?

Is your son academic? If so, look closer at EABJM in Lille -- the name is known for being selective and having great results.

If your son is likely to concentrate on sciences, then bear in mind that Ermitage is not considered to be well equipped with labs etc.

IB1 intake for Ermitage next year is expected to be large, over 40 iirc, and a good proportion of their students are recruited internationally. It has changed the teaching quite considerably because not all the students are as strong in English as their school certificates/qualifications would suggest.

One last thought, Ermitage is above all a business (as are many private schools in France) and they put a lot into their IB programmes to make sure they continue to recruit successfully each year. It's their most lucrative programme by far.

If I were to sum up the most frequent grumbles I hear about Ermitage it would be poor communication with parents, no consultation being made before big changes (there is no parents' association, just a kind of welcome committee which has no representative remit), and poor organisation.

On the plus side some of the teachers are very good. (Conversely though, some of the teachers are patently struggling and there is no support system in place for them.)

Sorry I cannot give you much more than that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now