should we move to spain?

(4 Posts)
amarcord Thu 29-May-14 15:42:19

As we seem to be running around in circles, please could someone help[ us decide? We are thinking of leaving London for somewhere with a better weather and better quality of life in general where our dcs could be outdoors a bit more. DH is insisting on Spain and I'm prepared to be open minded but not too sure, but am willing to research it.

Both dh and I work from home and can work from anywhere. Our current house is too small for us but we cannot afford to move anywhere bigger in our area. We could move out of London but are not excited by the idea as we both want better weather so if we are uprooting the family we might as well move abroad. As all our UK based relatives have passed away, we have no more ties here. Dcs are 11, 7 and 5. Can anyone recommend an area with good international schools (we don't want to start off with local schools) and a generally good, open minded, cosmopolitan feel? What about Alicante? Valencia? We have dismissed Ibiza as would prefer to be on mainland due to ease of transport but ideally would like the similar vibe. Barcelona? We both love it but have heard that crime rates have gone up, is that true?

We know that many Brits are struggling in Spain and that overall mood is rather low, but as we will not depend on local jobs, there's a hope that we will not be impacted that much.

Our Spanish is limited but we are willing to learn.
Not sure if this would be our forever home and we intend to keep our home in Britain for a while. As you can see, we are in the early research phase so have million questions...
Any suggestions? Many many thanks!

fussychica Thu 29-May-14 16:47:46

Lived in Spain for 8 years now back in UK. DS went to Spanish state school from 10 -18 and is now at Uni in UK. If you are going this is the right time for your DCs education. We considered international school at 14 when we almost moved to Calpe and think we would have been happy with our choice if that move had worked out.
The Spanish government are making it much harder for everyone re taxes and health care, especially expats. You'll need to factor in private health insurance for you all which won't be cheap. However, property is cheap and you won't have to spend much to get a lovely home (depending on area). I would recommend renting for a year or so though then you can decide if you have picked the right place without the hassle of selling (v. difficult). PM me if you want anymore info.

amarcord Thu 29-May-14 17:11:07

Thank you fussychica, I will definitely need to factor in the cost of private healthcare as you suggest. will take you up on the offer to pm you- thank you!

RaspberryRuffle Tue 03-Jun-14 01:54:58

Re healthcare check eligibility for an S1 form, you may not need private cover.
If you want a cosmopolitan vibe then Barcelona, there are cheap flights to the UK and also ferries/flights to Ibiza.
Catalunya has 2 official languages, Spanish and Catalan so international schools would probably be best, some follow UK syllabus or baccalaureate.
Have a look on some property rental websites, see what you can get for your money and how it compares. Could you organise a weekend break to check out your chosen city?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now