Moving to the UK

(7 Posts)

Hi Ladies,
Hope everyone is having a great Friday. DH, DS and I are potentially moving from South Africa to the UK at the end of the year. My DS has just turned 5 and is an absolute dream (read terror).

We are looking at moving to Surrey or Reading but your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Where are the best area's to move to? What would be the best schooling options?

Thanks so much in advance smile
Lauren

PeterParkerSays Fri 16-May-14 12:20:45

How much do you have to spend on accommodation? Are you considering state or private education? where about will you / DH be working, presuming you need to factor commuting into this as well?

Heya,

We were looking at 900 - 1000 pounds per month, I would prefer state education to be honest. I will probably end up working from home and DH will need to commute but more than likely into London.

HaLOL Fri 16-May-14 19:40:05

Woking is very commutable, but not sure about the schools. Guildford and surrounding areas very nice with some good schools. Guildford probably around 30 minutes into Waterloo. Farnham has some great state schools and is around 50 minutes from Waterloo I think.

SouthernHippyChick Fri 16-May-14 21:10:15

Would help you to narrow it down. Are you here forever? If so choose according to secondary schs also (our mistake!) both expensive areas so that will limit you. Where will he be Working in london? Reading comes in to paddinton, Surrey to waterloo... Think theres a quite useful commuterland website. Have a look.

specialsubject Fri 16-May-14 21:43:41

the site you want is rightmove.co.uk. Assuming that you are starting off by renting, I fear you may be in for a shock.

also check out train fares. :-(

Nix01 Sat 24-May-14 09:51:21

Hi Lauren,

We did the same move. The exchange rate doesn't go far smile

Is your DH transferring over here? Try to get jobs lined up beforehand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now