Ask an Aussie

(113 Posts)
puthyjip43 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:43:52

Here to help with any q's about life down under for anyone thinking of emigrating

Kaza1 Mon 28-Apr-14 13:24:23

Thanks l'll have a look x

saffronwblue Mon 28-Apr-14 08:48:24

kaza look at seek.com.au for jobs in SA

HowsTheSerenity Sun 27-Apr-14 23:06:08

Northern Territory? Look at the NT newspaper headlines online. They are hysterical.
Everything is more expensive up north. Don't expected to get the latest shows, concerts etc there. Actually don't expect any.
It would be an amazing adventure if you are game. I'm not sure how many job opportunities for you there would be though.

Kaza1 Sun 27-Apr-14 09:30:09

Is anyone in Adelaide or SA been hearing that it's hard to get a job & if thats the case might need to do dome more research into other area's? My husband is a painter & decorator. Thanks x

Kaza1 Sat 26-Apr-14 18:01:30

Thanks Hazchem l must have missed that bit....l"ll get it sent off as soon as passports came today so full steam ahead xx

Hazchem Sat 26-Apr-14 10:07:55
Hazchem Sat 26-Apr-14 10:07:28

Here is SA's list [[https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/SNOL_data ]]

Hazchem Sat 26-Apr-14 10:01:20

I think so. here is the page from immigration on 489 have you check the skill list for the states you are applying for?

Kaza1 Sat 26-Apr-14 09:32:23

Quick question please. Will my husband need a skills assessment for visa 489? He has his trade papers & job on list. Thanks xx

Hazchem Fri 25-Apr-14 10:20:30

18 months now. I'm originally an aussie and grew up near here. It's cold in winter smile We have had the heating on for about a week now. Although just heat to 18 degree as that keeps the edge off. It is hot in summer. we had about quite a few days over 35 and a couple of 40. Our house isn't insulated and we don't have air con. So spent a fair bit of time going to malls, museums ect to escape the summer heat.
Yes our rent is cheap. Regional Australia has a lo to offer and it is much cheaper then the big cities. depending on what sector you are in if regional australia is worth the move. I've got a fondness for mildura which is in vic but close to the SA border. It's hot dry dusty and a bit rough around the edges but has some of the most beautiful country I have seen and truely wonderful food. It is however a good 5 or 6 hours to the next big city.

Kaza1 Fri 25-Apr-14 10:13:15

How long have you been in NSW Hazchem? Xx

Kaza1 Fri 25-Apr-14 08:48:39

Hazchem NSW is second on our list! What's the weather like? That's really good for rent. Sounds perfect enjoying the great outdoors xx

Hazchem Fri 25-Apr-14 07:53:53

Chloeb There has been a change for bring dogs and cats in recently . It means less time in quarantine but more time in the home country.

Kaza1 I'm in country NSW. In large town near a bigger city. We like it. It means lots of expenses are cheaper. Rent for example is $300 p/w. We are on well below the average aussie income too. I find it easier to live cheaply here then in UK (london) as there is lots of free or cheap stuff out there. EG yesterday we went for a walk in a gorge then used the free BBQ in near the play ground and cooked some sausages for lunch. we had some salad bread ect and i think lunch would of cost us $15 for 2 adults and a child.

chloeb2002 Fri 25-Apr-14 00:24:09

Not sure why it's 7 months for the dog? Something must have changed? Ours had blood test. Repeat blood test as lepto I think is not present in aus and vaccinated in uk so shows positive 2nd test proves its a stable vaccine level.
We started in September and she was on a plane end if October
grin
Remember test results do have be within a number of weeks if travel. Rabies is not required. To enter aus again unless it's changed. Just to renter uk.
Giggly. Yes nursing is far less autonomous here.
And private land is the place to be. Coming from the uk if you feel the nhs "works" it would be tough.

Kaza1 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:25:02

Hazchem where abouts are you? Taking my dog on Monday for his rabies vaccine on Monday. Just waiting for our passports to come through then lm going to lodge our EOI. Looked through everything that we need to gather & looks east enough! Still not told my parents that we're going that's a conversation lm not looking forward to xx

Kaza1 Thu 24-Apr-14 20:20:05

Hazchem where abouts are you? Taking my dog on Monday for his rabies vaccine on Monday. Just waiting for our passports to come through then lm going to lodge our EOI. Looked through everything that we need to gather & looks east enough! Still not told my parents that we're going that's a conversation lm not looking forward to xx

Kaza1 Thu 24-Apr-14 09:07:01

Thanks Ladies for all advice defo going to do visa ourselves. We need to wait 7 months for our dog & not got anyone who can take home means we can get sorted & save as much as possible. SA here we come getting really excited xx

Hazchem Thu 24-Apr-14 08:13:57

wow that is fast Kaza1 OH took 7 months although his is national.
Oh and really you don;t need an agent. You will still need to collect all the evidence yourself even with an agent.

giggly Thu 24-Apr-14 07:28:33

Kazza1 yes we are from Glasgow. I do regret moving here for many reasons. Main one is we were always meant to go over East however QLD health had a freeze on overseas applicants when we were ready to come.

I had a senior role in the NHS with good pay and conditions and an autonomous role, none of which I have here or likely to get as there simply is a limited market here and I fundamentally believe in free health care and detest the private market here, money rules here.

We also love travelling however it is too expensive to do so on a regular basis,, the beaches are lovely and we love surfing but honestly get a bit bored of it every weekend because it's that or a park.

Unless we want a 30 year mortgage, buy a crap 1960's house or move to the sticks buying a house is not going to happen.

Perth really is a small town with a vast suburb population with millions loving living here just not us.
Doing the visa yourselves is a bit time consuming but easy, if you use an agent you still have to do half the work for them anyway.

Please don't let our experience put you off, but please consider wisely what you are leaving behind. Good luck.

Kaza1 Wed 23-Apr-14 22:43:19

Thanks Chloe lve registered & l'll start gathering the evidence l need. Was looking on the SA web page earlier today & average visa process time is 3.5weeks! Wish me luck. Thanks for ur advice x

chloeb2002 Wed 23-Apr-14 16:27:47

I think you can navigate that too. It will just mean speaking to dept immi. Parent visas are a right pain the the bum. But possible! Especially if you start temp and apply perm following. Kind of prove you can support her then continue. The dimca page has an ask us person on there too. Who I used recently about an au pairs visa. Very helpful! wink

Imsosorryalan Wed 23-Apr-14 10:26:35

We were thinking of using an agent, rethinking that now though, although we'd need some advice re my mum coming over once we got pr. is it best to use an agent for this. Our situation would be slightly trickier in that we'd be supporting her ie living with us. She also hasn't got any assets to put towards a parents visa so we need to do this as cheaply as poss.!

chloeb2002 Wed 23-Apr-14 06:03:42

Very very easy. Tick and flick form �� we did both 457 and pr ourselves and citizenship. Also busy. Both working. Just a couple of nights in front of the computer. grin
If you do it yourself then dimca liaise directly with you .. Far better wink

crankypants Tue 22-Apr-14 13:41:22

Yes shelley, the Perth beaches look amazing!

Kaza1 Tue 22-Apr-14 09:15:58

Chloe is it easy enough to do myself? I was of the opinion as we are a really busy family that it would be one less pressure on us :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now